Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Lake Tahoe

1. Feb 17, 2006 #1

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

So this is where I've been hiding all week. The first two days it was in the upper 50s and I skiied in a t-shirt under my ski jacket shell. On the 4the day (Wednesday), it was 11 at the top of the mountain and snowing. The snow was nice, but we couldn't see bcause it was snowing so hard. Plus, I was starting to ice up...

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 17, 2006 #2

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm getting cold just looking at that last picture!

4. Feb 17, 2006 #3

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

So, did you make it down Mott Canyon in one piece?

- Warren

5. Feb 17, 2006 #4
    I enjoyed that first pic cause you almost look like your skiing on the moon's surface.

6. Feb 17, 2006 #5

Evo

Ow, that looks really cold. :eek:

7. Feb 17, 2006 #6

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Isn't that last picture what ski masks or face masks are made to prevent? :biggrin: We apparently can't let Russ go out into any extreme weather, hot or cold.

8. Feb 17, 2006 #7

russ_watters

Twice. Though, the second time, I fell near the bottom - stupid fall, went to stop and skidded on a patch of ice. I don't have any pictures of me in the canyon because the guy holding the camera for that pic (my roommate) wouldn't go into it.

9. Feb 17, 2006 #8

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

So we just have to take your word for it that you went down that one and weren't just posing at the top to impress all the ladies, huh? :wink:

10. Feb 17, 2006 #9

russ_watters

Well, I took pictures of the slope while I was on it and riding up afterwards (you can't get to that particular lift by any other means)....

A few more pics...

Mott56 is Mott Canyon runs 5 and 6, the two I did. 5 is right under the lift, 6 is to the right - a little less defined of a trail (aptly called "Pine Nuts"). The second pic is just 6 from further up the lift (note the rocks that are in both pics). Moguls is a pic looking up at my roommate on a medium-hard mogul run.
    Ugh, I skiied four days and not once was I dressed properly. The first day was the worst - I just didn't believe that it was going to be near 60 and I was wearing thermals and ski pants. I had to get a locker to ditch most of my clothing and was still uncomfortable (sweating in nylon ski pants is pretty sick). That last day was actually the closest to being properly dressed that I was - and I had to take off my sweater in the morning, then put it back on in the afternoon (I think the temperature was dropping). Part of the problem is the mogul runs make you work and get your heart pumping (it doesn't help to suck on the moguls...). But yeah - coulda used that face shield that was in my hotel room....

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 17, 2006
  11. Feb 17, 2006 #10

russ_watters

And a couple more...

Me and my roomate at the top, overlooking the lake and one of me on a gladed run (a nice tem for skiing through the woods). Bad idea, those glades...

Attached Files:

12. Feb 17, 2006 #11

Evo

Oh, no, no, no, unless you're cross country skiing. Just shushing through the snow.

13. Feb 18, 2006 #12

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hey, that looks a bit like the walk from my parking lot to my office every day. :uhh: Okay, not really, but I guess I don't have to ask if you're really good at skiing or just like to goof around on the easy slopes now (unless you have broken bones you're not telling us about). :eek:

I'd gladly hike through those woods in the summer, but with all that snow on the ground, I'd much rather enjoy the view through a window while sipping hot cocoa and curled up with a good book. :biggrin:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?