Unlocking the Possibilities of a 2-Year Time Warp Mailbox

• Thread starter Alkatran
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Time Warp
In summary, the conversation is about a movie called "The Lakehouse" that features a magical mailbox that allows two people, who live in the house 2 years apart, to send letters to each other. The group discusses what they would do with this mailbox, including solving difficult problems, investing in lottery tickets, and using it for personal gain. They also discuss the potential paradoxes and plot holes in the movie. Overall, they are curious about the movie but not enough to see it.
Alkatran
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
I went to see the Davinci Code yesterday and saw a preview for a movie called the Lakehouse (or something similar). The 'catch' for the movie is apparently a mailbox that let's the two people, who live in the house 2 years apart, send letters to each other (the woman puts a letter in, and it shows up 2 years ago in the mailbox for the man to get, and vice versa).

Now, in the movie they apparently just use this thing for love letters. What would you do with a 2-year into the past mailbox?

My first inclination would be to solve some computationally difficult problems (prize money for breaking RSA codes, anyone?), then I'd try to create paradoxes. :biggrin:

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you mad? Just invest in some lottery tickets and spend the rest of your days on easy street surrounded by wonderful architecture, fast cars and slow women!

brewnog said:
Are you mad? Just invest in some lottery tickets and spend the rest of your days on easy street surrounded by wonderful architecture, fast cars and slow women!

Very nice.

But see, I was aiming at something that wouldn't end up with me being investigated for winning the lottery 5 times in a row. :rofl:

I mean, the odds of winning the lottery fives times in a row are probably enough to get you convicted of fraud (beyond a reasonable doubt)!

Alkatran said:
Very nice.

But see, I was aiming at something that wouldn't end up with me being investigated for winning the lottery 5 times in a row. :rofl:

I mean, the odds of winning the lottery fives times in a row are probably enough to get you convicted of fraud (beyond a reasonable doubt)!

You only have to do it once though really, on a good week, once you've got a few dishonest millions then it's easy to invest honestly to live like a lord!

I would put a wireless router in the mailbox so that we could get a "real time" connection going, and I could surf the net as it would exist 2 years from now. Then go on etrade and take over the world.

why doesn't the person in the future simply say "hey meet me here in 2 years", where here is wherever the chick is standing...

Wishbone said:
why doesn't the person in the future simply say "hey meet me here in 2 years", where here is wherever the chick is standing...
:rolleyes: Because it's a movie. :rofl: It would be a more interesting plot if it were maybe 20 years rather than just 2 years, because you're right, 2 years makes it pretty easy to just arrange a meeting location, unless we've just spoiled the ending. :tongue:

Wishbone said:
Because the guy is intelligent enough to understand that the chick will no longer be a chick two years later :rofl:.(unless ofcourse she is the eternal Moonbear :biggrin: )
But seriously, the paradox is that, he should meet the lady the moment he sends that letter( if the lady is punctual that is ), and of course he can ask the lady to tell him all that he wrote afterwards, without actually writing and know what his future holds.And the worst part is that he can't change his future, because it has already happened.
In short, time travel paradoxes suck !

Sounds like "Frequency" with a boy/girl plot, rather than a father/son plot. I wonder how the inevitable paradoxes will be remedied?

I'm curious to see it, but not enough to see it.

It could be a great Stephen King book. "The Mailbox"

1. How does the 2-year time warp mailbox work?

The 2-year time warp mailbox works by utilizing advanced technology that creates a temporary time loop within the mailbox. This allows for any mail placed inside to travel through time and be delivered to its intended recipient up to 2 years in the past or future.

2. What kind of materials are needed to build the time warp mailbox?

The materials needed to build the time warp mailbox are specialized metals, advanced electronics, and a power source capable of generating high levels of energy. The exact materials used may vary depending on the specific design and technology used.

3. Can the time warp mailbox be used for any type of mail or only specific items?

The time warp mailbox can be used for almost any type of physical mail, including letters, packages, and small objects. However, it is not recommended for perishable items or living organisms.

4. What happens if the mailbox malfunctions or gets damaged?

In the event of a malfunction or damage, the mailbox has built-in safety protocols to prevent any potential harm to the user or the mail. It will automatically stop the time warp and safely return any mail to its original time and location.

5. Is there a limit to the number of times the mailbox can be used?

The mailbox can be used an unlimited number of times as long as it is properly maintained and the power source is regularly recharged. However, it is recommended to use it in moderation to avoid any potential disruptions to the space-time continuum.