Lambda-line and solid-liquid coexistence curve in 4He.

• Thread starter luisgml_2000
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Curve
In summary: Your Name]In summary, there is currently no data for the lambda-line and melting curve of 4He on the NIST website. However, the PVT Properties of Helium-4 database on the NIST Data Gateway and the Journal of Chemical and Engineering Data may have the information needed. Good luck with your research!
luisgml_2000
Hello all,

I found on the NIST's website (http://webbook.nist.gov/cgi/fluid.cgi?ID=C7440597&Action=Page) the raw data of the saturated vapor-pressure curve of 4He. I need similar information for the lambda-line and the melting curve of 4He but I haven't found it on NIST's website.

Could someone please point me to the right database in NIST or otherwise? The reason of this request is that I need something more accurate than the phase diagrams usually found on Google.

Thanks a lot,

Luis

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello Luis,

Thank you for bringing this question to the forum. It's great to see fellow scientists utilizing the resources available to us.

I did some research and found that the NIST website does not currently have data for the lambda-line and melting curve of 4He. However, I found a database called PVT Properties of Helium-4 on the NIST Data Gateway (https://www.nist.gov/mml/csd/information-gateway/pvt-properties-helium-4) that may have the information you are looking for.

Additionally, I suggest checking out the Journal of Chemical and Engineering Data (https://pubs.acs.org/journal/jceaax) for more detailed and accurate data on the phase behavior of 4He.

I hope this helps and good luck with your research. Keep pushing the boundaries of science!

1. What is the "Lambda-line" in 4He?

The "Lambda-line" in 4He refers to the phase transition line between the normal liquid phase and the superfluid phase of helium-4. It is named after the Greek letter lambda, which is commonly used to represent the transition temperature.

2. What is the "solid-liquid coexistence curve" in 4He?

The "solid-liquid coexistence curve" in 4He is a graphical representation of the equilibrium phase boundary between the solid and liquid phases of helium-4. It shows the coexistence of both phases at different temperatures and pressures.

3. Why is the "Lambda-line and solid-liquid coexistence curve" important in 4He research?

The "Lambda-line and solid-liquid coexistence curve" are important in 4He research because they provide crucial information about the behavior and properties of helium-4 at low temperatures. They help scientists understand the nature of the superfluid phase and its relationship with the normal liquid and solid phases.

4. How is the "Lambda-line and solid-liquid coexistence curve" determined in 4He experiments?

The "Lambda-line and solid-liquid coexistence curve" are determined in 4He experiments by measuring the specific heat, density, and other physical properties of the helium-4 sample at different temperatures and pressures. These measurements are then used to plot the phase diagram and determine the transition points.

5. What are the practical applications of studying the "Lambda-line and solid-liquid coexistence curve" in 4He?

Studying the "Lambda-line and solid-liquid coexistence curve" in 4He has several practical applications. It can help researchers develop better cryogenic technologies, such as superconductors and refrigeration systems. It can also provide insights into the behavior of other substances at low temperatures, as well as improve our understanding of phase transitions and critical phenomena in general.