Fix Greek Letters as Bullets on Webpages

• Thread starter z-component
  • Start date
In summary, The conversation discusses the issue of Greek letters being substituted for bullets on webpages. It is suggested to check the default style sheet and the userContent.css file for any "li" selectors. For IE users, it is recommended to refer to w3.org for more information on CSS selectors and descriptors. The issue is described as more of an annoyance rather than a serious problem.
z-component
For the longest time now I've been seeing Greek letters being substituted for bullets on webpages. The main set of bullets is replaced by lambdas and the secondary set (usually the open circle bullet) is replaced by gammas.

I know there are no malicious items on my PC so I am guessing that some software has caused this a while back. Does anyone have the slightest idea where I could start to fix this? (This is more of an annoyance than a real problem.)

z-c

Computer science news on Phys.org
If you're using Mozilla or Firefox, make sure you're using the default style sheet. If you are, check your chrome directory for userContent.css, open it in Notepad and check for an "li" selector. If there is none, or there is no userContent.css, create your own and just use the line "ul { list-style-type: disc; }".
For more CSS selectors and descriptors, see http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/.

I am using IE. Is there a way to do this for IE?

What is the issue with Greek letters as bullets on webpages?

The issue with Greek letters as bullets on webpages is that they may not appear correctly or consistently across different browsers and devices. This can lead to a lack of visual consistency and may make the content difficult to read or understand.

Why are Greek letters commonly used as bullets on webpages?

Greek letters are commonly used as bullets on webpages because they are visually appealing and add a unique touch to the formatting of lists. They are also a popular choice for websites that have a focus on education or use Greek terminology.

How can I fix Greek letters as bullets on my webpage?

To fix Greek letters as bullets on your webpage, you can use CSS to specify a specific font that supports Greek characters. This will ensure that the letters appear consistently across different browsers and devices. You can also use Unicode or HTML entity codes to display the Greek letters as bullets.

Are there any alternatives to using Greek letters as bullets on webpages?

Yes, there are several alternatives to using Greek letters as bullets on webpages. Some options include using standard bullet symbols, such as circles or squares, or using custom icons or images as bullets. You can also use CSS to create custom bullet styles.

Does using Greek letters as bullets affect web accessibility?

Yes, using Greek letters as bullets can affect web accessibility for users who may have difficulty reading or understanding the characters. It is important to ensure that the content is still accessible and understandable for all users, regardless of the bullet style used. Consider providing alternative text or using other methods for formatting lists.