1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Laminar flow and swimsuit

1. May 28, 2010 #1

I’m student at a french university, I have to present a project about swimsuit and I must carry out experiments. I’ve decided to work on the buoyancy of swimsuits, the flow around it and drag. To measure drag, I think I’ll drop a heavy ball wrapped in swimsuit material in the water and take measures. Then I’ll do the same with just the ball and compare the results.

But I have a problem concerning the flow. I’ve read from a swimsuit manufacturer website that swimsuits help create laminar flow. And that’s what I don’t understand: Why ? And how can I prove it in an experiment ? I know it’s all about fluid mechanics but I haven’t studied that yet.

Thank you so much for your help ^^
  2. jcsd
  3. May 25, 2012 #2
    The reduce the skin friction this delaying the transition from laminar to turbulent flow. If you want some insight look up the mechanism dolphin skin uses to reduce their drag while they are swimming.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook