Why isn't my laminator sticking PET thin films together at high temperatures?

In summary, the individual is attempting to laminate two ITO-coated PET thin films together with a laminator that generates a temperature above 80 degrees Celsius. However, they are not sticking together at all. Despite researching and finding that laminating PET with heating above 80 degrees is a common practice, they are unsure why it is not working in their case. They are seeking advice and requesting comments from others.
paulzhen
Hi all,

I am trying to laminate two ITO-coated PET thin films together with heating (I believe the temperature generated by my laminator is above 80 Celsius degree), but they did not stick together even a little bit.

I have checked online for a few articles, laminating PET with heating (above 80 degree) seems straight forward, but why does it not work in my case? Did I miss anything? Please advise! Thanks a lot!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hi, please anyone could give any comment?

paulzhen said:
(I believe the temperature generated by my laminator is above 80 Celsius degree), but they did not stick together even a little bit.
Well, until you measure your temperature, you're flying blind.

1. What is the purpose of laminating PET thin films?

The purpose of laminating PET thin films is to create a barrier between the film and the environment. This barrier protects the film from damage and helps to maintain its durability and strength over time.

2. What are the benefits of using laminating PET thin films?

The benefits of using laminating PET thin films include improved strength and durability, protection from external factors such as moisture and UV light, and enhanced visual appearance. Laminating also provides a smooth and glossy finish, making the film more visually appealing.

3. How are PET thin films laminated?

PET thin films are laminated using a process called extrusion coating. This involves melting a layer of plastic and applying it to the PET film, creating a bond between the layers. The film is then cooled and solidified, creating a strong and durable laminate.

4. What types of applications are laminating PET thin films commonly used for?

Laminating PET thin films are commonly used in packaging, as they provide a barrier against external factors that could damage the contents of a package. They are also used in the production of solar panels, electronic displays, and medical devices, due to their strength and durability.

5. Are there any environmental concerns when using laminating PET thin films?

Laminating PET thin films are generally considered to be environmentally friendly, as they are made from recyclable materials and can be easily recycled. However, the process of laminating does require the use of energy and resources, which can have an impact on the environment.