Calculating Tungsten Melting Temperature Using Circuit and Ohm's Law

• Thread starter Gyroscope
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lamp
I am just looking for help.In summary, the conversation discusses using a circuit with a 3.5V lamp to find the melting temperature of tungsten. The suggested approach is to increase the voltage until the lamp turns off, measure the current, and use Ohm's Law to find the resistance and ultimately the corresponding temperature. However, the person asking for help is advised that they may be in the wrong place if they expect quick solutions to their homework problems.
Gyroscope

Homework Statement

[tex]p_t=p_{20}(1+\alpha (t-20))[/tex]

I have a circuit with a 3,5 V lamp that has a tungsten filament. I can provide to the circuit a variable voltage. How would I find the melting temperature of tungsten?

I know p_20 and alpha and the voltage I provide. And I have an device to measure current too.

Could I just increase voltage until the lamp turns off (which means the tungsten filament melted), measure the current and by means of Ohm's Law I could find the resistance. And then with the initial formula, I could find the temperature to which corresponds this resistance.

Am i right? Sorry my poor English.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
knock, knock...

Sorry to reply to my own thread, but I have some urgence to solve this, please, please...

If you're expecting to have homework problems solved for you within 2 hours, then you're probably at the wrong place.

What happens if you follow up on your original reasoning? Also how are your terms defined?

You are totally right. I am sorry...

What is the purpose of calculating tungsten melting temperature using circuit and Ohm's Law?

The purpose of this calculation is to determine the melting point of tungsten, which is an important parameter for various industrial and scientific applications. Tungsten has a very high melting point and is commonly used in high-temperature environments such as incandescent light bulbs, electrical contacts, and furnace heating elements. By using circuit and Ohm's Law, we can accurately estimate the melting point of tungsten and ensure its proper use in various applications.

What is the relationship between tungsten melting temperature and electrical resistance?

There is a direct relationship between tungsten melting temperature and electrical resistance. As the temperature of tungsten increases, its electrical resistance also increases. This is due to the fact that as the temperature rises, the atoms in tungsten vibrate more vigorously, making it harder for the electrons to pass through the material. This increase in resistance can be quantified using Ohm's Law, which states that resistance is equal to the ratio of voltage to current.

How can circuit and Ohm's Law be used to calculate tungsten melting temperature?

To calculate tungsten melting temperature using circuit and Ohm's Law, we need to measure the electrical resistance of tungsten at different temperatures and plot them on a graph. The point at which the resistance significantly increases is the melting point of tungsten. This is because at this temperature, the tungsten atoms are no longer in a solid state and are free to move, causing a sharp increase in resistance. By using the slope of the graph and the known values of voltage and current, we can use Ohm's Law to calculate the melting temperature of tungsten.

What are the limitations of calculating tungsten melting temperature using circuit and Ohm's Law?

There are a few limitations to this method of calculation. Firstly, it assumes that the tungsten sample is pure and has a uniform composition, which may not always be the case. Additionally, external factors such as impurities, contaminants, and surface conditions can affect the accuracy of the results. It is also worth noting that this method only gives an estimate of the melting temperature, and the actual value may vary slightly due to experimental error. Therefore, it is important to conduct multiple trials and use a reliable source of data to minimize these limitations.

What are the practical applications of knowing the melting temperature of tungsten?

The knowledge of tungsten melting temperature has many practical applications in different industries. It is commonly used in the manufacturing of high-temperature components such as furnace heating elements, incandescent light bulbs, and electrical contacts. Knowing the melting temperature also helps in selecting the appropriate materials for various high-temperature applications. It is also essential in the field of materials science and research, where understanding the behavior of materials at extreme temperatures is crucial for developing new technologies and materials.