1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Lamps in series and parallel

1. Jan 25, 2012 #1
    I'm stuck on this homework I need to do but it's for tomorrow and it's very important. Could one of you please answer this? The question is:
    There are 10 different combinations that lamps can be arranged if there are 5 of them and you can organise them only in series and only in parallel. The formula for calculating the total resistance in parallel is 1/Rt = 1/R1 + 1/R2 etc until 5. And for series it is Rt = R1 + R2 until R5. Is the formulae for calculating r in series and parallel for all 10 lamp combinations acceptable? Explain your answer.
    I know the answer is that not all the combinations are accepted but that's all I know

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 25, 2012 #2
    between having all 5 in parallel and all 5 in series aren't there other combinations, maybe 4 in parallel and 1 in series and so on....

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook