Derive Lanczos Equation: Step-by-Step Guide

• Thread starter mersecske
  • Start date
In summary: The equation is a conservation law, and it states that the surface energy (S^{ab}K_{(ab)}=0) is always conserved. This is the minimal derivation of the equation.
mersecske
Where can I found the derivation of the Lanczos equation

Physics news on Phys.org
Go to arxiv.org
Select find-all, choose author Lanczos

I think this is a bad idea.
Lanczos' papers is not freely available,
because he wrote his papers in the 20'

mersecske said:
I think this is a bad idea.
Lanczos' papers is not freely available,
because he wrote his papers in the 20'

First try it - then tell me whether it was a bad idea or a good one.

I didnt found useful stuff on arxiv

mersecske said:
I didnt found useful stuff on arxiv

I found. By Cornelius Lanczos (reprints from 1929 etc)

1) On the covariant formulation of Dirac's equation
2) Dirac's wave mechanical theory of the electron and its field theoretical interpretation
3) The tensor analytical relationships of Dirac's equation
4) The relations of the homogeneous Maxwell's equations to the theory of functions
5) The conservation laws in the field theoretical representation of Dirac's theory

Some of the above are quoted in "Lanczos's equation to replace Dirac's equation?"
which you also find on arxiv?

It isn't useful for someone who wants to know about Lanczos's equation? Then you have a peculiar taste.

I am interested about the following Lanczos equation:

[tex] K^{+}_{ab} - K^{-}_{ab} = 8\pi\left(S_{ab} - \frac{1}{2}h_{ab}S\right) [/tex]

where K is the intrinsic curvature, S is the energy-momentum tensor on the boundary surface, h is the induced metric on the surface.

Last edited:
Then perhaps this will help you: "[URL equivalence of Darmois-Israel and distributional
method for thin shells in general relativity[/URL]

Last edited by a moderator:
I have this paper, but the equation (22) is just put there and no real derivation. How can you perform the integral on the left hand side?

Take a look at section 3.7 (particularly the development leading to equation 3.7.11) in Eric Poisson's notes,

http://www.physics.uoguelph.ca/poisson/research/agr.pdf.

Better yet, see if your library has a copy of the excellent book, A Relativist's Toolkit: The Mathematics of Black Hole Mechanics, into which the notes evolved.

In spherically symmetric case the dynamics of a thin shell is described by the above Lanczos equation and the radial conservation equation which gives us the sigma(r) function, where sigma is the surface energy density, and r is the radius. For dust shells sigma=const, and the Lanczos equation discribes the dynamics alone.

However in some literature other equations are used also. For example in vacuum:

[TEX]S^{ab}K_{(ab)}=0[/TEX]

I think this is not an independent equation.
What is the intuitive meaning of this equation, and what is the minimal derivation of this equation?

1. What is the Lanczos Equation?

The Lanczos Equation is a mathematical formula used to compute the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of a square matrix. It is commonly used in numerical analysis and has applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, and computer science.

2. Why is it important to derive the Lanczos Equation?

Deriving the Lanczos Equation allows us to understand the underlying principles and assumptions behind the formula. This can help us better interpret and apply the equation in various scenarios, as well as make modifications or improvements if needed.

3. What are the steps involved in deriving the Lanczos Equation?

The steps involved in deriving the Lanczos Equation include choosing a starting vector, applying the Lanczos algorithm, and solving the resulting tridiagonal matrix. This process is repeated for each eigenvalue and eigenvector until the desired accuracy is achieved.

4. What are some key points to keep in mind while deriving the Lanczos Equation?

Some key points to keep in mind while deriving the Lanczos Equation include choosing a good starting vector, ensuring numerical stability, and understanding the effects of round-off errors. Additionally, it is important to have a solid understanding of linear algebra and matrix operations.

5. Are there any limitations or assumptions associated with the Lanczos Equation?

One limitation of the Lanczos Equation is that it can only be used for square matrices with real eigenvalues. It also assumes that the matrix is symmetric or Hermitian, and that the starting vector is chosen carefully to avoid convergence issues. Additionally, the Lanczos algorithm may not converge for certain matrices, leading to inaccurate results.