1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Courses Landau Course of Theoretical Physics : Mechanics

1. Jun 10, 2005 #1

Gau

This is the first book in Landau's theoretical physics series and I am wondering how it was, as I was thinking of buying it online. What kind of things must you already be familiar with going into this book? Furthermore, is an understanding of single variable calculus satisfactory for this book, or must you know more? Any responses would be much appreciated.

- Gau

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 10, 2005 #2

Dr Transport

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Landau's book is a graduate text. Multivariate calculus is necessary to understand the math in the text. The Landau series in general is an excellent series, I bought it for myself after I earned my PhD.

4. Jun 10, 2005 #3

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If you can't afford Goldstein's book,then Landau's one is okay.

Daniel.

5. Jun 12, 2005 #4
    I liked the book I used it for my graduate mechanics class. The Goldstein book I thought was more detailed but if you understand the topic the whole Landau series is a must have I feel in any physics library. = )

6. Jun 12, 2005 #5
    I used it for my upper-level undergraduate mechanics course. It's wonderful. If you want a clear, no-nonsense approach to physics, go for Landau. And that's not just his mechanics, also his fields, QM, QFT, statistical mechanics, ...

7. Jun 15, 2005 #6

Gau

So once I learn multivar i'll be ok for all of the books, or do you need additional math as the books progress?

8. Jun 15, 2005 #7

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Differential equations,of course.Some vector calculus,too.

Daniel.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?