Courses Landau Course of Theoretical Physics : Mechanics

• Thread starter Gau
  • Start date

Gau

This is the first book in Landau's theoretical physics series and I am wondering how it was, as I was thinking of buying it online. What kind of things must you already be familiar with going into this book? Furthermore, is an understanding of single variable calculus satisfactory for this book, or must you know more? Any responses would be much appreciated.

- Gau

Dr Transport

Science Advisor
Gold Member
Landau's book is a graduate text. Multivariate calculus is necessary to understand the math in the text. The Landau series in general is an excellent series, I bought it for myself after I earned my PhD.

dextercioby

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
If you can't afford Goldstein's book,then Landau's one is okay.

Daniel.

I liked the book I used it for my graduate mechanics class. The Goldstein book I thought was more detailed but if you understand the topic the whole Landau series is a must have I feel in any physics library. = )

I used it for my upper-level undergraduate mechanics course. It's wonderful. If you want a clear, no-nonsense approach to physics, go for Landau. And that's not just his mechanics, also his fields, QM, QFT, statistical mechanics, ...

Gau

So once I learn multivar i'll be ok for all of the books, or do you need additional math as the books progress?

dextercioby

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Differential equations,of course.Some vector calculus,too.

Daniel.