Landau Course of Theoretical Physics : Mechanics

In summary, Landau's first book in the theoretical physics series is praised as a graduate text and a must-have for any physics library. An understanding of multivariate calculus is necessary to understand the math in the text, and additional math such as differential equations and vector calculus may be required as the series progresses. The Landau series is known for its clear and straightforward approach to physics, making it a valuable resource for researchers and students alike.
Gau
This is the first book in Landau's theoretical physics series and I am wondering how it was, as I was thinking of buying it online. What kind of things must you already be familiar with going into this book? Furthermore, is an understanding of single variable calculus satisfactory for this book, or must you know more? Any responses would be much appreciated.

- Gau

Physics news on Phys.org
Landau's book is a graduate text. Multivariate calculus is necessary to understand the math in the text. The Landau series in general is an excellent series, I bought it for myself after I earned my PhD.

If you can't afford Goldstein's book,then Landau's one is okay.

Daniel.

I liked the book I used it for my graduate mechanics class. The Goldstein book I thought was more detailed but if you understand the topic the whole Landau series is a must have I feel in any physics library. = )

I used it for my upper-level undergraduate mechanics course. It's wonderful. If you want a clear, no-nonsense approach to physics, go for Landau. And that's not just his mechanics, also his fields, QM, QFT, statistical mechanics, ...

So once I learn multivar i'll be ok for all of the books, or do you need additional math as the books progress?

Differential equations,of course.Some vector calculus,too.

Daniel.

1. What is the Landau Course of Theoretical Physics: Mechanics?

The Landau Course of Theoretical Physics: Mechanics is a two-volume textbook written by Soviet physicists Lev Landau and Evgeny Lifshitz. It is considered to be one of the most authoritative and comprehensive textbooks on classical mechanics, covering topics such as Newtonian mechanics, Lagrangian and Hamiltonian mechanics, and rigid body dynamics.

2. Who is the target audience for the Landau Course of Theoretical Physics: Mechanics?

The Landau Course of Theoretical Physics: Mechanics is primarily aimed at graduate and advanced undergraduate students in physics and related fields. However, it has also been used by researchers and professionals as a reference text.

3. What makes the Landau Course of Theoretical Physics: Mechanics unique?

The Landau Course of Theoretical Physics: Mechanics is known for its concise and rigorous mathematical treatment of classical mechanics. It also includes many challenging problems and exercises, making it a valuable resource for those looking to deepen their understanding of the subject.

4. Can the Landau Course of Theoretical Physics: Mechanics be used for self-study?

While the Landau Course of Theoretical Physics: Mechanics is a well-respected textbook, it is not recommended for self-study unless the reader has a strong background in mathematics and physics. The material can be quite advanced and requires a solid understanding of calculus, linear algebra, and classical mechanics.

5. Are there any other resources that complement the Landau Course of Theoretical Physics: Mechanics?

Yes, there are several other textbooks and online resources that can provide additional explanations and examples to supplement the Landau Course of Theoretical Physics: Mechanics. Some popular choices include Goldstein's "Classical Mechanics", Taylor's "Classical Mechanics", and the online video lectures by Leonard Susskind on classical mechanics.