Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Landau levels and bohr model

1. Oct 26, 2011 #1
    hi

i thought that if i try to derive the energy of an electron in a magnetic field, this could be done with the assumptions of the bohr model.

L=n h/(2π)

mv²/r=qvB => mvr=qBr²=>n h/(2π)=qBr²

E=p²/(2m)=q²B²r²/(2m)=n h/(2π)qB/(2m)

so i get the energy for the first level, but all transitions are wrong, as n=2,4,6 etc. should be forbidden, but i do not get this condition.

so my question is: why does this mistake appear?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 26, 2011 #2
    Probably, you forget about the "magnetic energy", though the electron (charge= q ) is rotating under the magnetic field. I rearrange your equations here.

According to the Bohr model. the orbital length is an integer (n) times de Broglie's wavelength (=h/mv),
    So this fact leads to your first equation of the angular momentum (L).

[tex]2\pi r = n \times \frac{h}{mv} \quad \to \quad L = mvr = n \times \frac{h}{2\pi} = n \hbar[/tex]

The centrifugal force is equal to Lorentz force (= qvB), as shown in your second equation.

[tex] \frac{mv^2}{r} = qvB [/tex]

Using these equations, the angular frequency (= w) of the rotating electron and kinetic energy (K) are

[tex]\omega = 2\pi \times f = 2\pi \times \frac{v}{2\pi r} = \frac{v}{r} = \frac{qB}{m}[/tex]

[tex]K = \frac{1}{2}mv^2 = \frac{n\hbar qB}{2m} = \frac{1}{2}n\hbar \omega[/tex]

Loretz force causes the magnetic moment (= u ) (of rotating electron), which direction is opposite to the external magnetic field,

[tex]\mu = I\pi r^2 = \frac{qv}{2\pi r}\cdot \pi r^2 =\frac{qmvr}{2m} = \frac{qn\hbar}{2m}[/tex]

So the magnetic energy (V) is "plus", as follows,

[tex]V = \mu\cdot B = \frac{n\hbar qB}{2m} = \frac{1}{2}n\hbar \omega[/tex]

As a result, the energy intervals are hw, as follows,

[tex]E = V + K = n\hbar \omega[/tex]

By the way, using Maxwell equation and the above equations, the magnetic flux included in the circular orbit is

[tex]\pi r^2 B = \pi \frac{m^2v^2}{q^2 B} = \frac{h}{2q} \times n[/tex]

where h/2q is "magnetic flux quantum"

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook