Any recommendations for books on Landau & Lifshitz problems in physics?

In summary, there are several highly recommended books for learning about Landau & Lifshitz problems in physics. "Statistical Physics" by L.D. Landau and E.M. Lifshitz is a popular choice, as well as "Classical Theory of Fields" and "Quantum Mechanics: Non-relativistic Theory" by the same authors. For beginners, "A Guide to Quantum Mechanics" by David Kaiser and "Introduction to Electrodynamics" by David Griffiths provide a solid foundation. For a comprehensive understanding, "Landau & Lifshitz Course of Theoretical Physics: Volume 1 - Mechanics" is recommended. Online resources, such as MIT OpenCourseWare's "Statistical Mechanics II: Statistical Physics of Fields
bolbteppa
I'm wondering what books people would recommend for problems closely paralleling the development of Landau & Lifshitz books?

For mechanics I have two fantastic ones:

Kotkin - A Collection of Problems on Classical Mechanics
Krasnov - Problems & Exercises in the Calculus of Variations

For quantum mechanics I have:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0486453227/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Unfortunately I can't find any books for the other volumes, the closest book I have for Classical Theory of Fields is https://www.amazon.com/dp/0120821605/?tag=pfamazon01-20, however it doesn't really follow Landau closely. I would love to see some explicit computational examples on determining the full action for the electromagnetic field, for example, like the exercises on the Hamilton-Jacobi equation in Krasnov, & things like that - any ideas?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

I highly recommend the following books for problems that closely parallel the development of Landau & Lifshitz books:

1) "A Collection of Problems on Classical Mechanics" by V. M. Kotkin - This book covers a wide range of topics in classical mechanics and includes problems at varying levels of difficulty. It is a great supplement to the Landau & Lifshitz book on mechanics.

2) "Problems & Exercises in the Calculus of Variations" by M. Krasnov - This book provides a comprehensive collection of problems and exercises in the calculus of variations, which is an important topic in mechanics. It is a great companion to the Landau & Lifshitz book on mechanics.

3) "Problems in Quantum Mechanics" by V. M. Galitski, V. M. Galitski, and I. M. Gel'fand - This book covers a wide range of problems in quantum mechanics, including those related to the Landau & Lifshitz book on quantum mechanics. It is a great resource for practicing and developing problem-solving skills in this field.

4) "Classical Theory of Fields" by L. D. Landau and E. M. Lifshitz - This book is the first volume in the Landau & Lifshitz series and covers classical field theory. While there may not be a book that closely parallels its development, I recommend supplementing it with problem-solving exercises from other books, such as "A Collection of Problems on Classical Mechanics."

In terms of finding explicit computational examples for determining the full action for the electromagnetic field, I suggest looking into books on computational physics or numerical methods in physics. These often include exercises and examples that involve solving equations of motion for different systems, such as the electromagnetic field. Additionally, online resources and textbooks on classical field theory may also provide helpful examples and exercises.

1. What are the best books for learning about Landau & Lifshitz problems in physics?

The most highly recommended book for this topic is "Statistical Physics" by L.D. Landau and E.M. Lifshitz themselves. Other popular choices include "Classical Theory of Fields" and "Quantum Mechanics: Non-relativistic Theory" by the same authors.

2. Are there any beginner-friendly books on Landau & Lifshitz problems?

Some beginner-friendly options include "A Guide to Quantum Mechanics" by David Kaiser and "Introduction to Electrodynamics" by David Griffiths. These books provide a solid foundation for understanding Landau & Lifshitz problems.

3. Is there a comprehensive book that covers all aspects of Landau & Lifshitz problems?

"Landau & Lifshitz Course of Theoretical Physics: Volume 1 - Mechanics" covers all the fundamental concepts in a comprehensive manner. It is a highly recommended book for those seeking a complete understanding of Landau & Lifshitz problems.

4. Are there any online resources for learning about Landau & Lifshitz problems?

Yes, there are many online resources available including lecture notes, video lectures, and online courses. Some popular options include MIT OpenCourseWare's "Statistical Mechanics II: Statistical Physics of Fields" and the Coursera course "Statistical Mechanics: Algorithms and Computations".

5. Can you recommend a book specifically on Landau & Lifshitz problems in condensed matter physics?

"Introduction to Solid State Physics" by Charles Kittel and "Quantum Theory of Solids" by Charles Kittel and James Callaway are both excellent books that cover Landau & Lifshitz problems in condensed matter physics.