Mastering Landau QM: A Comprehensive Guide to Chapters 1 & 2

• Thread starter bolbteppa
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Landau Qm
In summary, the conversation is about finding a reference that closely follows the dense first two chapters of Landau Vol. 3 in a more detailed and example-oriented manner. The speaker recommends using Gelfand's Calculus of Variation's as book zero and expresses their surprise at the harsh criticism towards Landau's book. They also mention trying to read the 'shorter course' chapters and express interest in finding supplementary material following a similar path.
bolbteppa
Having done a course in QM I still find the first two chapters of Landau Vol. 3 extremely dense. Is there any nice reference that closely parallel's Landau's development, just giving more details/examples? Literally just the first two chapters, but done almost the exact same way + details/examples.

Physics news on Phys.org
So you want a cryptically and poorly written, mind-boggingly hand-wavy treatment with more examples?

Hmm... Landau's books are the best there is for an undergraduate as far as I can see, so long as you use Gelfand's Calculus of Variation's as book zero... Ultimately I was wasting my time reading every other book under the sun instead of Landau, so I'm surprised to find such a harsh put-down of such a good book. I'd bet it's our fault for not being up to the game rather than Landau's tbh

I haven't read it properly in months so I may try reading the 'shorter course' chapters to see if it helps, I'd just like anything supplementary following a similar path - I found such things for the E&M, Gen Rel & Stat Phys thus far.

If anyone has any ideas though, or is interested in fleshing those mothers out, that'd be great :cool:

What is Landau Quantum Mechanics?

Landau Quantum Mechanics is a theoretical framework that describes the behavior of particles at the quantum level. It is based on the principles of quantum mechanics, which explains the behavior of matter and energy at a microscopic level.

Why is it important to master Chapters 1 and 2 of Landau QM?

Chapters 1 and 2 of Landau QM lay the foundation for understanding the rest of the theory. They cover important concepts such as wave functions, operators, and the Schrödinger equation, which are essential for understanding more complex topics in quantum mechanics.

What makes "Mastering Landau QM" a comprehensive guide?

"Mastering Landau QM" provides a thorough and in-depth explanation of the concepts and equations presented in Chapters 1 and 2. It also includes practice problems and examples to help readers fully understand and apply the material.

Is prior knowledge of quantum mechanics required to understand "Mastering Landau QM"?

While prior knowledge of quantum mechanics may be helpful, it is not necessary to understand "Mastering Landau QM." The guide is designed to be accessible for readers with a basic understanding of mathematics and physics.

Can "Mastering Landau QM" be used as a reference guide?

Yes, "Mastering Landau QM" can be used as a reference guide for those who are already familiar with the material. It includes a comprehensive index and clear explanations, making it a useful tool for reviewing and referencing specific concepts in Chapters 1 and 2 of Landau QM.