1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Landau QM Ch. 1 & 2

1. May 22, 2014 #1
    Having done a course in QM I still find the first two chapters of Landau Vol. 3 extremely dense. Is there any nice reference that closely parallel's Landau's development, just giving more details/examples? Literally just the first two chapters, but done almost the exact same way + details/examples.

2. jcsd
  3. May 22, 2014 #2

WannabeNewton

Science Advisor

So you want a cryptically and poorly written, mind-boggingly hand-wavy treatment with more examples?

4. May 24, 2014 #3
    Hmm... Landau's books are the best there is for an undergraduate as far as I can see, so long as you use Gelfand's Calculus of Variation's as book zero... Ultimately I was wasting my time reading every other book under the sun instead of Landau, so I'm surprised to find such a harsh put-down of such a good book. I'd bet it's our fault for not being up to the game rather than Landau's tbh

I haven't read it properly in months so I may try reading the 'shorter course' chapters to see if it helps, I'd just like anything supplementary following a similar path - I found such things for the E&M, Gen Rel & Stat Phys thus far.

If anyone has any idea's though, or is interested in fleshing those mothers out, that'd be great :cool:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted