Landau's Classical Mechanics

In summary, the professor says that the book Landau uses is more rigorous, but that the course is still manageable. He also says that he will be teaching some of the more difficult concepts in differential geometry in the course.
Kitaev_Model
Hello, PF,

I'm going to be taking graduate CM next semester and the professor uses Landau's textbook instead of Goldstein, which I take is the usual text. What are the appreciable differences between the books and what kind of math will be needed? I have the basics-complex analysis, linear algebra, yadda yadda-but I've never taken a formal course in something "higher" like differential geometry, for instance. The professor says he will be teaching some of that in the course and that I should be fine, but I'm still a little worried for reasons you might pick up in my introduction.

Physics news on Phys.org
Landau is very terse so you may want to have Goldstein around too.

When Landau says "One Can Show", he means "After a dozen pages of work, and lots of swearing". I'd buy a copy of Goldstein, and assume you have a copy of something one level down, like Marion or Symon.

Yeah, Landau can be frustrating sometimes. When I read it the first time I thought he was just showing off, but I think the brevity of explanation there is just the way Russians do things.

In general Russian education(books being one of the main factors) are more rigorous. At least in mathematics. The Russians use these "rigorous" books through childhood to graduate level courses within their educational system. Ie teachers assign these books and teach out of them. Not like in America where one learns from ie geometry from a cookbook, whereas the Russians learn geometry from Kisselev. This effect keeps multiplying throughout the years.

Not sure if this is the same as in physics as it is I n math. Please correct me.

OK, everybody, thanks for your advice. I am not thrilled about the idea of spending money on another textbook, but it might be for the best.

I wonder if this will be the start of getting the whole series over the years...

MidgetDwarf said:
In general Russian education(books being one of the main factors) are more rigorous. At least in mathematics. The Russians use these "rigorous" books through childhood to graduate level courses within their educational system. Ie teachers assign these books and teach out of them. Not like in America where one learns from ie geometry from a cookbook, whereas the Russians learn geometry from Kisselev. This effect keeps multiplying throughout the years.

Not sure if this is the same as in physics as it is I n math. Please correct me.
The professor is surprise, surprise, Russian. I've heard that the course is *incredibly* good but intense. I'm looking forward to it, especially since I had a pretty bad undergraduate CM class.

1. What is Landau's Classical Mechanics?

Landau's Classical Mechanics is a textbook written by Lev Landau and Evgeny Lifshitz that covers the fundamental principles of classical mechanics, including topics such as Newton's laws of motion, conservation of energy and momentum, and the motion of rigid bodies.

2. Who is Landau and why is this textbook important?

Lev Landau was a prominent Soviet physicist who made significant contributions to many areas of theoretical physics. This textbook is important because it presents a concise and rigorous treatment of classical mechanics that is widely used in physics education.

3. Is Landau's Classical Mechanics suitable for beginners?

No, Landau's Classical Mechanics is not suitable for beginners. It is a highly advanced and mathematically rigorous textbook that is typically used at the graduate level in physics courses.

4. Are there any notable differences between Landau's Classical Mechanics and other textbooks on the subject?

Yes, Landau's Classical Mechanics is known for its unique and concise approach to presenting the material. It also includes a large number of challenging problems, which make it a popular choice for advanced physics students.

5. Can Landau's Classical Mechanics be used for self-study?

While it is possible to use Landau's Classical Mechanics for self-study, it is not recommended. This textbook is best used in a classroom setting with a knowledgeable instructor who can provide guidance and clarification on the challenging concepts presented.