Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Landau's Theoretical Minimum

1. Aug 5, 2009 #1
    If we define Landau's Theoretical Minimum (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lev_Landau#The_Landau_School) as roughly understanding ALL of the entire course of theoretical physics by Landau and Lifgarbagez, who thinks they would make the minimum? I know I sure as hell wouldn't. That requirement is insane.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 5, 2009 #2
    I bought the book collection, so I know I would fail the exam too. On the other hand, the books are old and much more is available today depending on your domain. Besides, I still think it's quite possible to pass the exam, provided one works only this content and nothing else.

Whenever I start research on a domain which is new to me, I consider reading the relevant chapters in this collection a must.

4. Aug 6, 2009 #3

dx

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Between 1934 and 1961, only 43 people passed this test.

5. Aug 6, 2009 #4
    That wouldn't be surprising if they were taught by Landau. His books are awesome...but only as a review if you know the material well.

6. Aug 6, 2009 #5
    I think the books are meant to be self contained and introductory. There is no pre-requirement at all, except possibly previous books in the same collection.

7. Apr 24, 2011 #6
    Can people find out all names which passed Landau's test. I heard that one or two people came and find mistake in Landau's papers and Immediately passed the test. Is it true?

8. Sep 8, 2012 #7
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook