Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Landé g factor derivation

1. Jan 20, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I was looking the calculation of Landé g factor. It starts with

[tex]\mu=-\frac{e}{2m_{e}} (\vec{L}+2\vec{S})[/tex] assuming that g of electron =2

The lecture notes then proceed by calculating [tex]g=1+\frac{J(J+1)+S(S+1)-L(L+1)}{2J(J+1)}[/tex] using the cosine rule.

2. Relevant equations
    the second equation is
    [tex]\mu=-\frac{e}{2m_{e}} (\vec{J}+\vec{S}) [/tex] using [tex]\vec{L}=\vec{J}-\vec{S}[/tex]

which is, i think, just applying the third hund's rule J=L+S
    However, the third Hund's rule also states that for less than half filled
    [tex]J=\left|L-S\right|[/tex]

This then does not give the well known solution posted above. What am i doing wrong? The rest of the calculation is perfectly clear to me, I just don't get the step from
    [tex]\mu=-\frac{e}{2m_{e}} (\vec{L}+2\vec{S})[/tex] to [tex]\mu=-\frac{e}{2m_{e}} (\vec{J}+\vec{S}) [/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    Tried various vector equations, but no luck. Please help me, i'm really stuck. I hope and think there is a simple solution! thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 20, 2010 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

[tex]\vec{J}[/tex], [tex]\vec{L}[/tex], and [tex]\vec{S}[/tex] are angular momentum vectors. They're not the same as the quantum numbers j, l, and s. The vector and corresponding quantum number are related by

[tex]\vec{J}^2 = j(j+1)\hbar^2[/tex]

with analogous relationships for [tex]\vec{L}[/tex] and [tex]\vec{S}[/tex].

[tex]\vec{J}[/tex] is the total angular momentum of the electron, which is just the sum of the orbital angular momentum [tex]\vec{L}[/tex] and its spin [tex]\vec{S}[/tex].

4. Jan 20, 2010 #3
    Not really. The relationship is actually

[tex]
    \vec{J}^2|j,m\rangle=j(j+1)\hbar^2|j,m\rangle
    [/tex]

and similarly for [itex]\vec{L}[/itex] and [itex]\vec{S}[/itex]. Recall that they are operators and you need to operate them on something to get the quantum numbers.

5. Jan 20, 2010 #4

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

D'oh! Yes, you're right of course. I was sloppy.

6. Jan 21, 2010 #5
    Thanks, i already thought this had to be the case. Explanation in my lecture notes is a bit sloppy I think.

Thanks for your explanation, everything is clear to me again!

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook