1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Lande g-factor values

1. Nov 13, 2006 #1

neu

Im getting very confused about how to calculate the lande g-factor for the 3S1, 3P0, 3P1, and 3P2 states

I know its equal to

[​IMG]

but if i have state 3P0 where S=1 as 2S+1 = 3 and L=P=1 and J=0, but J=L+S which isn't =1?

i've read myself into a hole can someone help us out?

I should say the g-value is used in the zeeman effect. Gives the energy shift as ratio of bohr magneton

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 13, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 13, 2006 #2

OlderDan

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

J = L±S yes?

4. Nov 13, 2006 #3
    Why would you need to calculate it if there is no electron at that energy level? Guess I'm missing something.

5. Nov 13, 2006 #4

nrqed

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Just plug in the values of S,L and J.

Your problem does not seem to be in finding g but in vector addition in QM. Recall that in QM, writing [itex] {\vec J } = {\vec L } + {\vec S} [/itex] means that J will range from |L-S| to |L+S| in steps of 1. So, if S=1 and L=1, J could take any value between |1-1| and |1+1| so J may be equal to 0, 1 or 2. Your 3P0, 3P1 and 3P2 states correspond to those three possible values of J.

Hope this makes helps.

Patrick

6. Nov 14, 2006 #5

neu

Thats exactly the clarity i needed thankyou

7. Mar 10, 2011 #6
    I'm stuck with calculating g and p for Eu(3+).

The outtermost orbitals in Eu is 4f7 5s2 5p6 6s2. Eu(3+) has 4f6 as the last orbital.

Thus, S = 3, L = 3 and J = 0 since J = L - S here.

How do I calculate g (using the formula given above) and then p. (p = g[S(S+1)]).

The experimental value for p = 3.4 and I read that g must be 2 in this case.

I am at a loss how to arrive at this result.

Can anyone help?

8. Mar 12, 2011 #7
    :cry::confused::uhh:

Someone please help . . .

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?