Lande' g-Factor: Is a Reduced Mass Correction Needed?

In summary, the Lande' g-factor is given by a combination of two terms, one for the orbital angular momentum and one for the spin angular momentum. Most sources state that the g_L term is exactly 1, but Bethe and Salpeter suggest a correction for reduced mass. It is also mentioned that g_s, which represents the electron's magnetic moment, does not require any correction for reduced mass. The reason for this correction is explained as a separation of contributions from the atom and the nucleus, with the nucleus contribution being negligible. Bethe and Salpeter also discuss the possibility of a magnetic moment for the nucleus in the next section.
Khashishi
Science Advisor
Ok. The Lande' g-factor is given as
[itex]g = g_L \frac{J(J+1)-S(S+1)+L(L+1)}{2J(J+1)} + g_s\frac{J(J+1)+S(S+1)-L(L+1)}{2J(J+1)}[/itex]

Most sources say that [itex]g_L = 1[/itex] exactly, but Bethe and Salpeter p214 seems to indicate that there should be a correction for reduced mass. [itex]g_L = 1- \frac{m_e}{m_i}[/itex]

Is that right? I think so, but I wanted to make sure, since nowhere else do I see it.

I assume g_s doesn't need any correction for reduced mass, since it's just the electron acting alone. Is that right?

Physics news on Phys.org
I haven't seen it outside that book or the article by Lamb they cite, but then again, it does seem like the kind of detail any book except for Bethe & Salpeter would hide under the rug. Except for the case of Hydrogen and possibly Helium, it really is a small effect.

Did you read the following paragraph, by the way? There is a reasonable argument to why that effective gL factor should appear. Basically, some of the angular momentum of the atom is contributed by the nucleus, so if we separate the two contributions we get this term and one from the nucleus, which is negligible. And yeah, the gS must be a different matter, as it couples the electron's magnetic moment to a magnetic field. The nucleus could have a magnetic moment of its own though, something Bethe and Salpeter do treat in the next section.

Khashishi said:
Is that right? I think so, but I wanted to make sure, since nowhere else do I see it.
It sounds highly plausible. Why don't you try to proove it yourself?

1. What is the Lande' g-Factor?

The Lande' g-Factor, also known as the Landé g-factor or the g-factor, is a dimensionless quantity that describes the magnetic moment of an atom or particle in response to an external magnetic field.

2. How is the Lande' g-Factor calculated?

The Lande' g-Factor is calculated by dividing the magnetic moment of the atom or particle by the product of its spin and the Bohr magneton, which is a physical constant representing the smallest possible unit of magnetic moment.

3. What is a reduced mass correction for the Lande' g-Factor?

A reduced mass correction is a correction factor that is applied to the Lande' g-Factor calculation in certain cases where the mass of the particle is significantly smaller than the mass of the nucleus it is orbiting.

4. When is a reduced mass correction needed for the Lande' g-Factor?

A reduced mass correction is needed for the Lande' g-Factor when the particle's mass is at least 10 times smaller than the mass of the nucleus it is orbiting. This is known as the mass ratio rule.

5. Why is a reduced mass correction needed for the Lande' g-Factor?

A reduced mass correction is needed for the Lande' g-Factor because it takes into account the fact that, in cases where the mass of the particle is significantly smaller than the mass of the nucleus, the particle's motion is more dependent on the nucleus' motion than its own. This correction ensures a more accurate calculation of the g-factor in these cases.