Landed on the moon?

FaverWillets said:
... There was NO WAY to fake the moon landings... the real "tell" was found in the two way radio transmissions to and from the surface of the moon... that could not have been faked back in those days. End of discussion so far as I'm concerned.
I agree, but conspiracy theorists have to be able to prove "to themselves" that the conspiracy didn't happen. The idea that everyone on the planet with the right radio, at the time, was in on the conspiracy isn't too absurd for some.

One simple thing I saw, that would have been very hard to fake, was watching the way the dust reacted when it was kicked up as they walked around. It was obvious it was both a low gravity environment AND in a hard vacuum.

Glenn

what is the diference in the gravitational force on the moon versus the earth? Is it cauculated by mass or?? rotation ??

By mass. I believe its roughly 6 times less than that of the earth? Someone correct me on that.
Oh, does anyone know how the gravity ranges on the moon? Isn't the reason the same side is always facing the earth is because the denisty is not constant throughout the moon. Its heavier toward the earth. So wouldnt, due to distance from Center Of Mass in the gravitational force calculations, the force vary (youre even lighter on the other side?).

And another thing, the dark side of the moon isn't always dark right? Because during the changes in moon phase, the sun is hitting it all over. Have we always just landed on the "bright" side because it was the only way to communicate? (no relay satellites in orbit around the moon), and at the same time because it WAS bright, and therefor easier to navigate?

EDIT : Doing the calculations is it 81x less?

Last edited:
selfAdjoint
Staff Emeritus
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
The Moon is tidally locked to the Earth. I don't think that is because of the distribution of mass within the Moon. The Moon rotates once for each revolution it makes around the Earth, so yes, every point on it gets sunlight at some time (except possibly craters at the poses). The phrase "dark side of the Moon" is a misnomer.

The Soviets were the first to send a spacecraft around to the back of the Moon, and it sent pictures showing a craggy surface with a couple of large mares but fewer craters than the visible side.

And yes, the landings were on the near side so the radio could be used.

Janitor
Science Advisor
Earlier in the 1960s some of the Gemini missions involved spacewalks by astronauts in the virtual vacuum of Earth orbit. Rejecting Apollo's reality on the basis that they would not have been able to get rid of heat from solar radiation would almost require one to reject the Gemini missions as well. (Though I suppose arguments could be made that there were substantial differences, such as an umbilical reaching back to the Gemini spacecraft, and the availability of shade from either the spacecraft itself or from the Earth when the Gemini was on the night side of the orbit.)

In regards to the Apolo moon walks, I dont discount they have been made. There of course would be a heat factor on their suits although I do not think as much as being on a planet that is absorbing all that radiation.

Integral
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Altune said:
In regards to the Apollo moon walks, I dont discount they have been made. There of course would be a heat factor on their suits although I do not think as much as being on a planet that is absorbing all that radiation.
Like the earth the moon is very nearly in thermal equilibrium. It radiates as much heat way as it receives from the sun. Do you really think that we are so ignorant of the moon as not to understand these things you mention? There were many unmanned lunar missions before the Apollo missions were started. Things like the temperature can be pretty well measured and understood from earth.

We were very lucky not to have lost any astronauts in space. But, it was not ALL luck, an incredible amount of work went into understanding the conditions we would encounter on the Apollo flights, we were prepared. We understood the conditions on the surface of the moon and in space between here and there.

russ_watters
Mentor
As Tom Hanks said in "Apollo 13" - "We do have half the pHd's on the planet working on this..."

What gets me is the conspiracy theorists seem to think they pick up on little inconsistencies that a hundred thousand scientists and engineers missed in the creation of the "hoax." Yeah, right.

I understand now. We developed all the technology along the way. Maybe they should dig up those engineers for these expensive mars missions and solar radiation experements that go kaput.

neutroncount
Altune. Read Titan by Stephen Baxtor. He had the same idea.