• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products via PF Here!

Landing a Physics Job : book review

• Thread starter Gokul43201
  • Start date

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
http://www.springeronline.com/sgw/cda/frontpage/0,11855,4-40110-34-8894770-0,00.html?addToBasket

Landing Your First Job · A Guide for Physics Students ( Rigden, J.S. 2002, Softcover, ISBN 0-7354-0080-6) $12.95

About this book

If you've recently received your degree and are looking for the most complete and up-to-date information on career and employment opportunities, get Landing Your First Job: A Guide for Physics Students.

The volume contains information on the job search, including cover letters, resume writing, interview preparation, and salary negotiation. It also includes the latest employment statistics and glimpses of physicists in the workplace. Landing Your First Job is designed exclusively for physics-educated individuals and represents a resource whose practical value is unparalleled.
This book is currently on sale (regular price : $25) and comes recommended by the APS.

If anyone here has read this book, please throw in a brief review.

I skimmed through the book the other day. The book is very thin(with 100 pages or so) and the text is just HUGE. The content mostly focuses on how to write resumes & cover letters and important qualities a physicist must have to get employed, which is not much different than any other online career guide. Personally I don't think it's worth it.
Just my personal opinion though.

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Thanks for the info, Zhongsan.