1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Landing Speed

1. Aug 15, 2005 #1
    I feel like I'm losing my mind asking such an easy question, but for some reason I can't think of why the answer is double of what I'm calculating every time for this question.

After landing, a jet airplane comes to rest uniformly
    (the acceleration is constant) in 11.5 seconds. The aircraft
    rolls 1063.75 m. What was the landing speed? (in km/hr)

I keep getting 333 km/hr, but the answer is listed as 666 km/hr.
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 15, 2005 #2

Homework Helper

s = average speed x time
    = (vinitial + vfinal)/2 x time
  4. Aug 15, 2005 #3

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What equation are you using? You should be able to derive the equation that relates initial velocity, final velocity, time elapsed, and displacement. From this equation, you should be able to find the initial velocity.
  5. Aug 15, 2005 #4
    i was using x = xo + Vav*t
  6. Aug 15, 2005 #5
    And I don't know of an equation I can use for all that without having to use acceleration.

for the Vav = .5(v +vo), I don't see how I could I plug in 333 and come out with 666, as 333 would be v, and 0 would be vo.

I can't use x = xo + vo*t + .5*a*t^2 because I don't know acceleration

why am i having all this trouble
  7. Aug 16, 2005 #6

Staff: Mentor

Consider that the acceleration, or deceleration as the case may be, is uniform. This gives the total distance traveled as a function of acceleration and time. Hint: [itex]\ddot{x} = -a[/itex].

Then how about [itex]v_f^2 = v_i^2 + 2 a x [/itex] make sure you get the magnitude of a correct.
  8. Aug 16, 2005 #7

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If this is a college level course, you should be able to derive the right equation.

[tex]\Delta d = \int _{0} ^{T} v(t)\, dt[/tex]

[tex]\Delta d = \int _{0} ^{T} v_i + at\, dt[/tex]

[tex]\Delta d = v_iT + 0.5aT^2[/tex]

[tex]\Delta d = v_iT + 0.5(v_f - v_i)T[/tex]

[tex]\frac{\Delta d}{T} = \frac{v_f + v_i}{2}[/tex]

This says that the average velocity starting from time 0 to any time T is just the average of the final and initial velocities (given constant acceleration). If this is a high school course, then you should be given this (and the other 4) kinematics equations.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?