Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Landis, bang to rights?

1. Jul 27, 2006 #1
    Jeez, what with the innuendos about the doping of Armstrong, the expulsion of Ullrich and Basso, the denial to Heras of the win in the Tour of Spain, etc, etc.
    now Landis is going to lose the win in the Tour? If the positive is confirmed the win will be for the second in the classification, spaniard Oscar Pereiro. Is cycling really so rotten?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/other_sports/cycling/5221122.stm

Last edited: Jul 27, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 27, 2006 #2

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

All those guys are supreme athletes and everyone is looking for the edge, legal or otherwise. It is the same in any highly competitive sport; bear in mind however, there is still a large number of false positives which occur with drug testing.

4. Jul 27, 2006 #3

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Why are people so stupid? I just don't get it.

5. Jul 27, 2006 #4
    Well, i'll call them supreme cheaters, it seems a better description. Do you think that the anxiousness for glory can be an excuse to stain the name of a sport? I have practiced cycling during a number of years and climbed a lot of mountains, and this is a very hard sport not deserving such trashing

6. Jul 27, 2006 #5

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I never said I was condoning their actions; however, it would be unfair the call them all cheaters. Lance for example, has never tested positive for anything remotely illegal as have many other riders. Just for the record I am also a keen cyclist (more of a sprinter than a mountain climber - I like the big ring :biggrin:)

7. Jul 27, 2006 #6

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I for one am just sick about it. Here I thought we had the genuine thing. After stage 17, I remember thinking this was too good to be true. I am so freakin' disappointed!

I'll be very happy for Oscar anyhow, he derserves it.

8. Jul 27, 2006 #7
    I'm very sorry for Landis, with his hip problems and all, being educated in a very restrictive religious family that doesn't permit TVs in their house, having practiced cycling as a child during the nights because his parents forbade him to ride the bike. Though if he's a cheat, then he must pay for it

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?