Floyd Landis' Tour de France Win in Jeopardy?

• Thread starter meteor
  • Start date
In summary, cycling is rotten with many cheaters, and Landis is going to lose the Tour because of a positive drug test.
meteor
Jeez, what with the innuendos about the doping of Armstrong, the expulsion of Ullrich and Basso, the denial to Heras of the win in the Tour of Spain, etc, etc.
now Landis is going to lose the win in the Tour? If the positive is confirmed the win will be for the second in the classification, spaniard Oscar Pereiro. Is cycling really so rotten?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/other_sports/cycling/5221122.stm

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
meteor said:
Jeez, what with the innuendos about the doping of Armstrong, the expulsion of Ullrich and Basso, the denial to Heras of the win in the Tour of Spain, etc, etc.
now Landis is going to lose the win in the Tour? If the positive is confirmed the win will be for the second in the classification, spaniard Oscar Pereiro. Is cycling really so rotten?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/other_sports/cycling/5221122.stm
All those guys are supreme athletes and everyone is looking for the edge, legal or otherwise. It is the same in any highly competitive sport; bear in mind however, there is still a large number of false positives which occur with drug testing.

Why are people so stupid? I just don't get it.

Well, i'll call them supreme cheaters, it seems a better description. Do you think that the anxiousness for glory can be an excuse to stain the name of a sport? I have practiced cycling during a number of years and climbed a lot of mountains, and this is a very hard sport not deserving such trashing

Last edited:
meteor said:
Well, i'll call them supreme cheaters, it seems a better description. Do you think that the anxiousness for glory can be an excuse to stain the name of a sport? I have practiced cycling during a number of years and climbed a lot of mountains, and this is a very hard sport not deserving such trashing
I never said I was condoning their actions; however, it would be unfair the call them all cheaters. Lance for example, has never tested positive for anything remotely illegal as have many other riders. Just for the record I am also a keen cyclist (more of a sprinter than a mountain climber - I like the big ring :biggrin:)

I for one am just sick about it. Here I thought we had the genuine thing. After stage 17, I remember thinking this was too good to be true. I am so freakin' disappointed!

I'll be very happy for Oscar anyhow, he derserves it.

Last edited:
Chi Meson said:
I for one am just sick about it. Here I thought we had the genuine thing. After stage 17, I remember thinking this was too good to be true. I am so freakin' disappointed!

I'll be very happy for Oscar anyhow, he derserves it.

I'm very sorry for Landis, with his hip problems and all, being educated in a very restrictive religious family that doesn't permit TVs in their house, having practiced cycling as a child during the nights because his parents forbade him to ride the bike. Though if he's a cheat, then he must pay for it

Last edited:

What exactly happened with Floyd Landis' Tour de France win?

After winning the 2006 Tour de France, Floyd Landis' urine sample tested positive for synthetic testosterone. This led to an investigation and ultimately a decision to strip him of his title.

Did Floyd Landis deny using performance-enhancing drugs?

Initially, Landis denied any wrongdoing and claimed that the positive test was due to a natural increase in testosterone levels. However, he later admitted to using performance-enhancing drugs and accused his former team of supporting and facilitating his doping.

What was the outcome of the investigation into Floyd Landis' doping?

The investigation concluded that Landis had indeed used performance-enhancing drugs during the Tour de France. As a result, he was stripped of his title and banned from professional cycling for two years.

Was there any evidence supporting Floyd Landis' claims of innocence?

Landis' defense team presented several pieces of evidence, including inconsistencies in the testing procedures and allegations of mishandling of his urine sample. However, these were ultimately dismissed by the authorities.

What impact did Floyd Landis' doping scandal have on the cycling world?

The scandal sparked a renewed focus on doping in professional cycling and led to stricter testing and penalties for athletes found guilty of using performance-enhancing drugs. It also tarnished the reputation of the sport and its top athletes.

Back