Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Landlords raising rent without notice

1. Aug 16, 2016 #1
    I just received notice that my rent will go up $50 for the next lease if I choose to renew my lease. But I only received it 14 days before my lease is up. I live in Florida and tried to find a law about that, but I could only find it about other states. Aren't they supposed to give you 30 days notice? Because otherwise they could just double it the day before your lease is up and you're stuck.
    Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 16, 2016 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Does it state in your lease when they agree to notify you of increases? I get 90 days notice because they require 60 days written notice if I do not want to renew. Looks like Florida may be very lax. There are links to sites to ask for help, but once you have notice that short, it's too late.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2016
  4. Aug 16, 2016 #3
    Both back when I lived in Minneapolis and here in San Diego, there are tenant protection organizations that will dispense information about the local laws and give advise about what to do if a landlord seems to be flouting the law. I'd hunt around for something like that where you live.

5. Aug 16, 2016 #4

jtbell

A Google search for "Florida landlord tenant law" turns up a number of hits. One of the top hits contains this page:

http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/florida-termination-nonpayment-rent-other-rent-rules.html

Scroll down to the section "Amount of Notice Florida Landlords Must Give Tenants to Increase Rent". If you're on a month-to-month lease, you're probably stuck, unless you can make a claim on the issue of 14 days versus 15 days. If you're on a longer term lease (e.g. yearly), then the rent has to stay the same through the end of the lease, unless the lease itself explicitly specifies otherwise.

6. Aug 16, 2016 #5

Evo

He's talking about his rent increasing when the lease renews, but they only gave him 2 weeks notice!

According to this link, they are only required to give you 15 days notice unless otherwise stated in your lease, THAT SUCKS!.

It appears that since your lease is ending, they can raise your rent with virtually no notice. How much notice do they require to move out? Can you give this notice after learning of your rent increase?

Last edited: Aug 17, 2016
  7. Aug 17, 2016 #6

russ_watters

Since the lease hasn't been renewed, the notice before leaving issue is moot. I would have thought though that it would be to the landlord's benefit to get the new lease signed earlier (or confirm the tenant is leaving), to reduce the amount of time the apartment might sit vacant.

8. Aug 17, 2016 #7

StatGuy2000

Education Advisor

Only 15 days notice in Florida? I find that incredible.

By comparison, in the province of Ontario, Canada, a tenant must be given proper written notice of a rent increase at least 90 days before the increase is set to take effect.

https://news.ontario.ca/mma/en/2015/06/2016-ontario-rent-increase-guideline.html

And Evo, in your state (I believe you are in Missouri, if I'm not mistaken?), landlords are required to give a minimum of 60 days written notice. I wonder if Florida is an outlier in this respect.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted