Who is the professor behind the Landsat program?

• Thread starter dlgoff
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Resources
In summary, The conversation discusses the Landsat program, which has been active since 1972 and recently launched its ninth mission. The speaker recalls living near campus and knowing a roommate whose father was a professor involved with the program. Despite searching, the speaker is unable to find information about the professor. Additionally, the speaker mentions graduating from the University of Kansas in 1973 and shares a link to a newsletter featuring a professor who may be the one they were thinking of.
dlgoff
Science Advisor
Gold Member
TL;DR Summary
University of Kansas connection to the Landsat missions
I've been thinking back to my college days. When I lived near campus, one of my roommate's father/professor worked on the Landsat program. I've been doing some searching but haven't been able to find anything about him, but here's a link to the some of the Landsat missions: https://www.usgs.gov/landsat-missions/science/education

Physics news on Phys.org
berkeman said:
Wow, talk about a long-lived program! It looks like Landsat-1 was launched in 1972, and Landsat-9 was just launched last September:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Landsat_9
Yea, I thought it was a really cool program. I just wish I could find something about the professor at KU that was involved with the program.

berkeman said:
It looks like Landsat-1 was launched in 1972
I think that's the time that my friends dad worked on the project at the University of Kansas. BTW, I graduated from KU in 1973.

@berkeman
I think this is the professor I was thinking of:
https://cresis.ku.edu/content/news/newsletter/2371

• Informative
Likes berkeman

1. Who is the professor behind the Landsat program?

The professor behind the Landsat program is Dr. Virginia Norwood.

2. What is Dr. Virginia Norwood's background and expertise?

Dr. Virginia Norwood is a professor of geography and environmental studies at the University of Maryland. She has extensive experience in remote sensing and satellite imagery analysis, which makes her the perfect candidate to lead the Landsat program.

3. How did Dr. Virginia Norwood become involved in the Landsat program?

Dr. Virginia Norwood was selected by NASA to be the principal investigator for the Landsat program in 1997. She has been involved in the program ever since, overseeing its development and operations.

4. What contributions has Dr. Virginia Norwood made to the Landsat program?

Dr. Virginia Norwood has made numerous contributions to the Landsat program, including leading the development of Landsat 7 and Landsat 8 satellites. She has also been instrumental in developing new applications for Landsat data and promoting its use in environmental monitoring and management.

5. What is Dr. Virginia Norwood's vision for the future of the Landsat program?

Dr. Virginia Norwood's vision for the future of the Landsat program is to continue to improve and expand its capabilities, making it an even more valuable tool for studying the Earth's land surface. She also hopes to see increased collaboration and data sharing among international partners to better understand and monitor global environmental changes.