Algebra: Lang vs Bourbaki Comparison

• Algebra
  • Thread starter SrVishi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lang
In summary, The conversation is about comparing two different books on abstract algebra: "Algebra (the graduate one) by Lang" and "the series of Algebra Chapters 1-7 by the Bourbaki group." The individual asking the question is seeking a complete treatment of abstract algebra to prepare for graduate school and is open to rigorous and terse texts. The expert suggests "Algebra, chapter 0" by Aluffi as a good modern treatment and also recommends "Algebra" by MacLane/Birkhoff and "Algebra" by Hungerford. They also mention that Bourbaki's books in algebra have good reviews, but may not be the best for studying. The conversation also touches on the translation
SrVishi
Hello, I have access to both Algebra (the graduate one) by Lang, and the series of Algebra Chapters 1-7 by the Bourbaki group. I am okay with Lang's style and all, and I am aware that he was in the Bourbaki group, but I was wondering what is considered the better of the two. Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
SrVishi said:
I was wondering what is considered the better of the two.

For what purpose? With what background knowledge?

I just want a complete treatment of abstract algebra, to make the transition to grad school easier as I graduate in a year (I'm becoming a senior in the fall). I had two courses in undergraduate algebra, though I have no problem with tough levels of rigor and terseness from my self study habits. I can also refer to other books like Dummit and Foote for a specific concept if I am struggling with it or need more specifics. Are there any more details you need to know? Thanks again.

Neither book is good really. Lang has very nice key insights, but much of his text is confusing and the book is riddled with errors.
As for Bourbaki... the Bourbaki style is horrible and not meant for studying. It's good as a reference though.

Try Algebra, chapter 0 from Aluffi for a very good and modern treatment of algebra.

Cool, I think I can also borrow Aluffi's text. Does Aluffi cover as much as Lang? Might have forgotten to specify, by I wanted a book that could (to the best of its ability) cover as much as possible.

Lang is a good regular course for mathematitians. The book of Bourbaki is for those who are going to be a professional in algebra
micromass said:
Lang has very nice key insights, but much of his text is confusing and the book is riddled with errors.
examples of errors?

Alternatively, I also recommend "Algebra" by MacLane/Birkhoff and "Algebra" by Hungerford. Former is charming as it nicely introduce the category theory and latter is very detailed with good prose. I also think either of them will prepare you for Lang.

As a side note, I heard that Bourbaki's books in algebra have good reviews.

Bourbaki's algebra is IMO the best book on the subject, even just understanding why group representation theory is at the end of the (untranslated!) chapter 8 was just so immensely illuminating and I couldn't find that answered anywhere else, but use Dummit and Foote as well and complete DF while taking in Bourbaki over time, it is a bit insane.

bolbteppa said:
Bourbaki's algebra is IMO the best book on the subject, even just understanding why group representation theory is at the end of the (untranslated!) chapter 8 was just so immensely illuminating and I couldn't find that answered anywhere else, but use Dummit and Foote as well and complete DF while taking in Bourbaki over time, it is a bit insane.

Is English-translation version not as insightful as original? Strangely, I cannot find Chapter 8 as English-version contains Chap. 1 through 7.

bacte2013 said:
Is English-translation version not as insightful as original? Strangely, I cannot find Chapter 8 as English-version contains Chap. 1 through 7.

I think only chapters 1 to 7 are translated, there's a new (French) algebraic topology too. Also the manifolds book is not translated :(

I've been using Jacobson's Basic Algebra I and II as a reference lately, and I feel I can give a tentative recommendation for it.

bolbteppa said:
I think only chapters 1 to 7 are translated, there's a new (French) algebraic topology too. Also the manifolds book is not translated :(

I see. That is extremely unfortunate...This is one of time that I regret that learning another language, i.e. French. What are audiences for Bourbakian books? I am planning to read Algebra chapters, but I am not sure yet.

As said before I suggest also Paolo Aluffi "Algebra: Chapter 0"

Likes micromass

1. What is the difference between Lang and Bourbaki's approaches to algebra?

Lang and Bourbaki were two influential mathematicians who had different approaches to teaching and studying algebra. Lang's approach was more traditional and focused on teaching concrete examples and techniques, while Bourbaki's approach was more abstract and focused on the underlying structures and concepts of algebra.

2. Which approach is better for learning algebra?

This ultimately depends on the individual learner and their preferences. Some may find Lang's approach more intuitive and easier to grasp, while others may prefer Bourbaki's more rigorous and abstract approach. It is recommended to try both approaches and see which one works best for you.

3. What are some key differences between Lang and Bourbaki's textbooks on algebra?

One key difference is that Lang's textbooks are more comprehensive and cover a wider range of topics, while Bourbaki's textbooks are more concise and focused on the fundamental concepts of algebra. Additionally, Lang's textbooks often include more exercises and examples, while Bourbaki's textbooks have a more theoretical and proof-based approach.

4. Which approach is more commonly used in modern mathematics?

Both approaches are still used in modern mathematics, but Bourbaki's approach has had a greater influence and is more commonly used in research and graduate-level courses. Lang's approach is still popular for undergraduate courses and for those who prefer a more concrete and applied approach to algebra.

5. Can I use both Lang and Bourbaki's textbooks together for studying algebra?

Yes, many students and mathematicians use both textbooks together as a complementary approach to learning algebra. By using both perspectives, one can gain a deeper understanding and appreciation for the subject. However, it is not necessary to use both textbooks and one can still learn algebra effectively by using either one.