1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Langevin curve fitting

1. Jun 24, 2008 #1
    hi, there my question is let's suppose we have the magnetization (M) versus the applied field (H) as

[tex] M(H,T)= \sum _{n=1}^{N} W(x_i ) (x_i ) Lang (H.A.x_{i}/T) [/tex]

here 'A' is a constant 'T' is the temperature of system Lang(x) is the Langevin function coth(x)-1/x ,

My problem is how to use a curve fitting algorithm to solve the problem ,i am working under the assumption that [tex] W(x_i) [/tex] i=1,2,3,....,N is a log normal distribution depending only on the value x_i

my curve fitting program is just 'Origin 7' i need the algorithm to curve-fitting to a certain given distribution W(x) thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 24, 2008 #2
    What data do you have? Next, what does [tex]W(x_i ) (x_i )[/tex] mean? Could you give it analytical? Do you want to find A, and have a set of data like M_i=M(H_i,T_i) where _i is an index of your data points? Is x_i a random number or what?

I know how to find A for a problem of the type M_i=M(H_i,T_i) within matlab but that maby not help you, but the idea is based on non-linear least square minimization.

4. Oct 29, 2008 #3
    thank you, if possible where could i learn 'Nonlinear least squares optimization' ??

5. Oct 29, 2008 #4

Dr Transport

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Levenberg-Marquardt method....... try looking for that.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?