How Does Langmuir Kinetics Apply to Adsorption Processes?

• Thread starter Zealduke
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Kinetics
In summary, the homework statement states that adsorption of many solutes is governed by Langmuir kinetics. Equation 1 states that adsorption is governed by the concentration of the adsorbate and the volume of the solution. Equation 2 states that the concentration of the adsorbate is proportional to the amount of adsorbent pellets added to the solution. Equation 3 states that adsorption is governed by the product of the concentration of the adsorbate and the area of the adsorbent pellets. Subject to the initial condition that q (0)=0, Equation 3 can be solved by simple quadrature.
Zealduke

Homework Statement

Adsorption of many solutes is governed by Langmuir kinetics given below.

Equation 1
dq/dt=ka (qm−q )c−kdq

If a batch of adsorbent pellets of mass M is added to a solution of adsorbate, at an initial concentration ofc0 and volume V, the mass balance yields:

Equation 2
c= co−(M/V)q

Substituting (2) into (1) gives:

Equation 3
dq/dt = aq2 + bq + f

a = ka (M/V)

b = -(ka(M/V)qm + kd + kaco)

f = kaqm

Subject to the initial condition that q (t=0 )=0 Solve Equation (3) by simple quadrature (integration). To do this, first separate the variables q and c and integrate analytically.

The long time solution of Equation (1) should give the Langmuir isotherm.
q*= (qm(ka/kd)c) / ( 1 + ( ka/kd)c )

The Attempt at a Solution

So after plugging in all the data, to isolate q and c I subtracted kaqm and divided by q yielding:

(-kaqm / q) = (ka(M/V)q) - ka(M/V)qm - kd - kaco

Then I added kd to both sides in the hopes to simplify some of the data into the variable c. Not really sure what to do next or if I'm even headed in the right direction. Any thoughts or help would be really appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi.
Seems confusing indeed, since apparently c and q are functions of each other... are you sure you're not asked to separate q and t? because they appear to be the only variables and then equation 3 is integrated easily:
dq/(aq^2 + bq + f) = dt,
then complete the square on the left and change variable, integrate both sides. You can plug back the constants at the end if you like...

I appreciate the help, I'm going to run with what you've presented since my professor really doesn't have it together

So as far as completing the square I've got it to (q+(bq/4a))^2 = -f (bq/4a)^2 and it looks like it's about to get ugly, so I feel I'm on the wrong track. Does it look right so far? It's been ages since I've done any calculus, so my next question would be with what do I change the variable with?

If you factor out the "a" and take it to the right, you get:
dq/[(q + b/2a)^2 – (b/2a)^2 + f/a] = a•dt
So with x = q + b/2a, dx = dq and g^2 = f/a – (b/2a)^2
your equation has the form: dx/(x^2 + g^2) = a•dt,
which you might find familiar. if you don't, just look up the integral (the right one is trivial of course), it's a very common identity. You may even look up the initial one, i don't know if you're supposed to carry the whole integration...

Hi there,

Thank you for sharing your attempt at solving this Langmuir kinetics problem. It seems like you have made some progress in isolating the variables and trying to simplify the equation. However, there are a few errors in your steps that I would like to point out.

Firstly, when you subtracted kaqm and divided by q, you should also divide the other terms by q as well. This will give you:

(-kaqm / q) = (ka(M/V)q / q) - (ka(M/V)qm / q) - (kd /q) - (kaco / q)

Simplifying this further, we get:

(-kaqm / q) = ka(M/V) - ka(M/V)qm - (kd /q) - (kaco / q)

Next, you added kd to both sides, which is not necessary. Instead, you can rearrange the terms to get:

ka(M/V)qm = (-kaqm / q) - (kd /q) - (kaco / q)

Now, we can substitute this into the original equation (3) to get:

dq/dt = (-kaqm / q) - (kd /q) - (kaco / q) + kaq + f

Or, in a simplified form:

dq/dt = (-kaqm / q) + (ka - kd)q + f

From here, you can integrate both sides to get:

∫ dq/q = ∫ (-kaqm / q)dt + ∫ (ka - kd)qdt + ∫ fdt

Solving these integrals will give you the long time solution for q, which is the Langmuir isotherm. I hope this helps guide you in the right direction. Good luck!

What is the Langmuir kinetics problem?

The Langmuir kinetics problem is a mathematical model used to describe the adsorption of gases or liquids on a solid surface. It is named after Irving Langmuir, who first proposed this model in 1916.

What are the assumptions made in the Langmuir kinetics problem?

The Langmuir kinetics problem assumes that the adsorption process is a reversible, two-step reaction. It also assumes that the surface of the solid is uniform and that there is no interaction between the adsorbed molecules.

What is the Langmuir isotherm equation?

The Langmuir isotherm equation is the mathematical expression that describes the relationship between the amount of adsorbate on the surface of the solid and the concentration of the adsorbate in the surrounding gas or liquid. It is given by:

C = (bP)/(1 + bP)

Where C is the amount of adsorbate, P is the concentration of the adsorbate, and b is a constant known as the Langmuir constant.

How is the Langmuir kinetics problem solved?

The Langmuir kinetics problem can be solved by using the Langmuir isotherm equation and experimental data. The data is plotted on a graph, and the slope and intercept of the resulting straight line can be used to calculate the Langmuir constant and the maximum adsorption capacity of the solid.

What are the applications of the Langmuir kinetics problem?

The Langmuir kinetics problem has various applications in industries such as pharmaceuticals, environmental science, and materials science. It is used to study the adsorption behavior of gases and liquids on different surfaces and to design efficient adsorbents for various processes.