Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A Langrangian Mechanics

1. Aug 25, 2016 #1
    Hi, I'm in the masters year of a theoretical physics course which begins this September. I'm reading the classical mechanics notes ahead of time, and I came across the idea of holonomic and non-holonomic constraints. I understand that in the case of a holonomic system, you can use the constraints to reduce the number of variables needed to describe that system, and thus find generalised co ordinates. I'm a bit unclear on what constitutes a holonomic constraint though. Any information I've found online seems to only tell me two things:

That a holonomic constraint can be represented in the form f(q, t) = 0, (With q being generalised co-ordinates) and
    That a holonomic constraint is an equality, whereas a non-holonomic constraint is an inequality.

These seem a bit vague though, and any advice or tips would be very helpful!

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 25, 2016 #2

andrewkirk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That is correct
    That is not correct. A non-holonomic constraint is any constraint that is not holonomic. It may be an inequality. But non-holonomic constraints that crop up more often are those that involve generalised velocities ##\dot q_j##. A constraint of the form ##g(q,\dot q,t)## is non-holonomic, unless ##\frac{\partial g}{\partial \dot q}=0## (in which case the constraint can be written as ##h(q,t)=0## where ##g(q,\dot q,t)=h(q,t)##).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted