1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A Langrangian Mechanics

1. Aug 25, 2016 #1
    Hi, I'm in the masters year of a theoretical physics course which begins this September. I'm reading the classical mechanics notes ahead of time, and I came across the idea of holonomic and non-holonomic constraints. I understand that in the case of a holonomic system, you can use the constraints to reduce the number of variables needed to describe that system, and thus find generalised co ordinates. I'm a bit unclear on what constitutes a holonomic constraint though. Any information I've found online seems to only tell me two things:

That a holonomic constraint can be represented in the form f(q, t) = 0, (With q being generalised co-ordinates) and
    That a holonomic constraint is an equality, whereas a non-holonomic constraint is an inequality.

These seem a bit vague though, and any advice or tips would be very helpful!

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 25, 2016 #2

andrewkirk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That is correct
    That is not correct. A non-holonomic constraint is any constraint that is not holonomic. It may be an inequality. But non-holonomic constraints that crop up more often are those that involve generalised velocities ##\dot q_j##. A constraint of the form ##g(q,\dot q,t)## is non-holonomic, unless ##\frac{\partial g}{\partial \dot q}=0## (in which case the constraint can be written as ##h(q,t)=0## where ##g(q,\dot q,t)=h(q,t)##).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted