Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Language and Boolean Logic

1. Apr 15, 2010 #1
    The following is from regulations regarding setting up a Roth IRA

"Withdrawal of earnings prior to five years and age 59½ are subject to penalty and income tax."

I read that to mean:
    Withdrawal of earnings (prior to five years) AND (prior to age 59½) are subject to penalty and income tax.

If I withdraw the earnings either prior to five years OR prior to age 59½, but not both, are they exempt from income tax?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 15, 2010 #2

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Boolean AND/OR confusion aside, that sentence doesn't make sense to me. "Withdrawal of earnings prior to five years..." Five years of what? Retirement? It's not clear what they mean.

(As an aside: I'm fairly comfortable with math, but put a $ in front of the numbers and my brain flatlines!)

4. Apr 15, 2010 #3
    Checking on the IRS's website I found the following clarifications.
    1. The five years is from Jan 1 of the year that the first contribution is made.
    2. I found no statement similar to the above. Instead they provide a flowchart of all the possibilities showing whether taxes or penalties must be paid. In either case, prior to 5 years OR prior to age 59½ taxes and penalties apply.

It is amazing how easy it is for language to misrepresent the meaning. Could this be because OR in common usage usaually means either/or and AND often means and/or?

5. Apr 15, 2010 #4
    But isn't putting $ in front of a number signify that it is HEX :biggrin:

$A04E

6. Apr 15, 2010 #5
    The Roth IRA account has to be open for at least 5 years.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook