Creating Language Forum: Benefits & Challenges

• Suggestion
  • Thread starter JasonRox
  • Start date
In summary, the idea is that people can post in their language, and have someone who can translate relay the information. It would be helpful if there were more active moderators to help keep things organized, but it seems like a great idea in theory.
JasonRox
Homework Helper
Gold Member
How come we can't have a language forum?

I know english is the official language of this board, and only language. It would be difficult to monitor any number of languages.

But how about having a language forum but for specific languages. For example, we can have one language forum where you can write in French, Spanish or Chinese.

You would only need moderators for those forums that speak those languages. I know there are a few members that speak french, that's for sure. I think it would be great if people can post french physics question, or math, or even general discussion forum. Once the traffic picks up, french people will find the site easier because it will come up on Google when they search terms in french. And possible even use the english boards since more help is accesible there.

Let's people practice too. If you're curious on how to write something in another language, or even have a paper in french and certain lines you don't understand. (Just using french as an example.)

I think it would be great.

Note: So I mean one forum where you can post thread in French, Spanish, etc... Obviously only if you can find a moderator for those languages.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Borek said:
IF traffic picks up. We tried similar thing at CF (see http://www.chemicalforums.com/index.php?board=44.0) to no avail.

That's not it.

I said lump all the languages in one. So you have thread titles in French, SPanish and so on in one forum. If at some point French dominates the forum, then split the French off into its own forum.

Oh, and it's not even busy in that forum. No wonder. Expanded too quickly.

Wise idea! People even can ask their language question there.

Lisa! said:
Wise idea! People even can ask their language question there.

Exactly! They can do that. The forum would have to be general for sure until traffic, if ever, picks up.

We would not be able to moderate discussions in other languages. It would not be as simple as having people looking in that speak certain languages. Think about it, it would be just a dumping ground of people making unrelated posts in different languages.

There are already very well known science forums in other languages on the internet.

A few years ago, I thought it would be a good thing if PF had a "Teachers' forum" devoted to the pedagogics of the sciences, for example discussing ways that tests ought to be made in order to uncover student failings.

However, I have come to the conclusion that forum formation should be on an "evident need" basis, rather than on a "hopeful attraction" basis.

Basically, it just seems silly and cluttered with sub-fora that rarely are visited, if at all.

Sure enough, there is a SLIGHT dissuasion from posting a question if you can't find the appropriate forum for it, but GD is an option for such extra-ordinary questions.

I simply don't think opening a sub-forum on languages will result in a rush of threads there, in addition to the moderator complications involved.

I'm not for or against this either way, but I just thought I'd throw this in: (for brainstorming purposes)

Perhaps there could be some feature where people who maybe aren't too comfortable with english yet, can post a "request translation" thread or feature or something.
Where they post in a language they are comfortable with and then someone who is capable of translating it to english can relay the information between the asker and the various replies.

Seems like that would be a lot of work for the translators though.

Evo said:
We would not be able to moderate discussions in other languages. It would not be as simple as having people looking in that speak certain languages. Think about it, it would be just a dumping ground of people making unrelated posts in different languages.

There are already very well known science forums in other languages on the internet.

Um... you must have misunderstood what I was saying in relation to moderation of the forum.

If you can not find a Japanese moderator, then Japanese is not an optional language in the language forum. If you have a French moderator, then it is an optional language. Hence the title of the forum would look like...

Langauge Forum
English, French, Spanish

...where the subtitle lists the languages that can be used.

Hence, English being there, it can be used to for translation into English, from French to English or Spanish to English or vice versa, but only with available languages. So, it can be used like the poster above was talking about.

Of course not everyone can participate, but that's life. Anyone wanting to learn another language can, and also learn the scientific words since you usually don't get that in an English class.

We have forums for just about everything. I don't see how a language forum isn't in place yet.

JasonRox said:
Um... you must have misunderstood what I was saying in relation to moderation of the forum.

If you can not find a Japanese moderator, then Japanese is not an optional language in the language forum. If you have a French moderator, then it is an optional language. Hence the title of the forum would look like...

Langauge Forum
English, French, Spanish

...where the subtitle lists the languages that can be used.

Hence, English being there, it can be used to for translation into English, from French to English or Spanish to English or vice versa, but only with available languages. So, it can be used like the poster above was talking about.

Of course not everyone can participate, but that's life. Anyone wanting to learn another language can, and also learn the scientific words since you usually don't get that in an English class.

We have forums for just about everything. I don't see how a language forum isn't in place yet.

I hope the people moderating the math threads know that language.:blushing:

1. What is the purpose of creating a language forum?

The purpose of creating a language forum is to provide a platform for individuals to discuss and exchange ideas, knowledge, and resources related to language learning, teaching, and usage. It also serves as a community for language enthusiasts to connect and support each other in their language journeys.

2. What are the benefits of participating in a language forum?

Participating in a language forum allows individuals to gain new perspectives and insights on language-related topics, expand their vocabulary and grammar skills, and receive feedback on their language usage. It also offers opportunities for cultural exchange and networking with people from different backgrounds.

3. How can a language forum help with language learning?

A language forum can provide a supportive and immersive environment for language learners to practice and improve their language skills. It also offers access to a variety of resources and learning materials, as well as the opportunity to receive guidance and feedback from more experienced language users.

4. What are some challenges that may come with creating a language forum?

Some challenges that may come with creating a language forum include managing and moderating discussions to ensure a respectful and inclusive environment, addressing language barriers for non-native speakers, and maintaining active participation and engagement from members.

5. How can these challenges be overcome?

These challenges can be overcome by setting clear guidelines and rules for forum participation, providing language support for non-native speakers, and regularly promoting and organizing engaging activities and discussions. It is also important to have a dedicated team for moderation and addressing any issues that may arise within the forum community.