Language pet peeve -- mano a mano in Spanish

• Lingusitics
  • Thread starter Mark44
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Language pet
In summary, the phrase "mano a mano" is often misunderstood by English speakers to mean "man to man" but it actually translates to "hand to hand." This phrase originated from close-quarters combat using swords and comes from the Latin word for hand. However, it is sometimes incorrectly written or spoken as "mano y mano," which has a different meaning. This is just one example of how language evolves and how English often borrows words and phrases from other languages. Other examples include the use of "hopefully" and the mispronunciation of words such as "habanero" and "forte." Despite these discrepancies, it is important to remember that language is constantly changing and evolving.
This is a phrase I hear from time to time from people who obviously don't know what it means. These people mistakenly believe it means "man to man" as in a confrontation between two men. The direct translation is "hand to hand," and describes close-quarters combat using swords or the like. The Spanish word mano is derived from the Latin word manus (hand), from which we get in English manual, manuscript, manufacture, and others.

The phrase is sometimes written or spoken erroneously as "mano y mano," which translates to "hand and hand," a completely different meaning than what these speakers usually intend.

Likes Grands
Science news on Phys.org
Mark44 said:
This is a phrase I hear from time to time from people who obviously don't know what it means.
Langauge evolves. Sure, we who use it don't know what it means in its original form, just what it has evolved to mean in our language. I have other examples of such things that are closer to home and more disturbing to me, but I recognize that my dislike of such things has no effect on the evolution of language.

For example, take the sentence "Hopefully the desk will arrive on Friday" or even worse, "Hopefully, the desk will arrive on Friday". What this says, grammatically, is that the desk will arrive on Friday and when it does it will be hopeful, although it's not specified what the desk will be hopeful about.

Over my lifetime, however, it has come to be accepted that the sentence simply means that the speaker has hope that the desk will arrive on Friday.

A statement I once heard and can't remember exactly, covers your particular case well. It is this: many languages borrow here and there from other languages but English chases other languages down an alley and mugs them for all they are worth.

Reminds me of when my grandma would order a pintos and cheese from Taco Bell, but she'd ask for "pintos and beans".

Also of note: frijoles refritos, what we call "refried beans," actually only means "fried beans" in Spanish (refritos simply means "well-fried," not "re-fried").
And again: habanero, often mispronounced in English as ha-ban-ye-ro, is actually pronounced without the tilde over the n (ha-ba-ne-ro). It's an example of hyperforeignism: when we import words from other languages and impose our own (incorrect) rules about their meanings and pronunciations. (Side note: To properly remember this, "habanero" simply means "from Havana," and you don't pronounce Havana "ha-van-ya," do you?) Same thing with the word "forte," which technically is only pronounced "fort-ay" when applied to music (having been derived from Italian "loud"). Otherwise, it's derived from French ("strong"), and is properly pronounced "fort."

DS2C said:
Reminds me of when my grandma would order a pintos and cheese from Taco Bell, but she'd ask for "pintos and beans".
Maybe she wanted horsemeat (from a pinto horse) with her beans.

TeethWhitener said:
Same thing with the word "forte," which technically is only pronounced "fort-ay" when applied to music (having been derived from Italian "loud"). Otherwise, it's derived from French ("strong"), and is properly pronounced "fort."
And "fort" (as in a walled castle) in French is pronounced "for".

Mark44 said:
And "fort" (as in a walled castle) in French is pronounced "for".
Damned French. Always wasting perfectly good letters :smile:

Likes Mondayman
Mark44 said:
This is a phrase I hear from time to time from people who obviously don't know what it means. These people mistakenly believe it means "man to man" as in a confrontation between two men. The direct translation is "hand to hand," and describes close-quarters combat using swords or the like. The Spanish word mano is derived from the Latin word manus (hand), from which we get in English manual, manuscript, manufacture, and others.

The phrase is sometimes written or spoken erroneously as "mano y mano," which translates to "hand and hand," a completely different meaning than what these speakers usually intend.
In italian we often use the expression "mano a mano".
It's a sort of "little by little" in english.

What does "mano a mano" mean in Spanish?

"Mano a mano" is a Spanish phrase that literally translates to "hand to hand." It is often used to describe a one-on-one or face-to-face encounter between two people.

Why is "mano a mano" a language pet peeve for some people?

Some people consider "mano a mano" to be a language pet peeve because it is often used incorrectly in English, where it is mistakenly used to mean a physical fight or confrontation. In Spanish, it simply means a one-on-one encounter or competition.

Is "mano a mano" a commonly used phrase in Spanish?

Yes, "mano a mano" is a commonly used phrase in Spanish, particularly in Latin American countries. It is often used in sports or other competitive situations to describe a one-on-one match or competition.

Can "mano a mano" be used in a non-competitive context?

Yes, "mano a mano" can be used in a non-competitive context in Spanish. It can be used to describe a one-on-one conversation or interaction between two people, without any sense of competition or confrontation.

Are there any other similar phrases in Spanish to "mano a mano"?

Yes, there are a few other phrases in Spanish that have a similar meaning to "mano a mano." These include "cara a cara" (face to face), "uno a uno" (one on one), and "a solas" (alone or in private).