How do I calculate the stress on a lap fillet weld in bending?

• Thread starter Fantastic Fox
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bending
In summary, for cover plate weld design, you need to calculate the longitudinal shear at the intersection of the cover plate and top flange of the beam. This can be done using the equation tau=VQ/It, where t is the thickness of the flange or the breadth of the plate. After calculating tau, you can determine the force per inch of weld due to direct vertical shear and bending, and then divide by the allowable force per inch of leg to size the weld thickness accordingly. The weld will resist the bending load in shear, so this is weld shear stress and not bending stress. It is important to calculate the actual VQ/I at the interface, rather than the average shear stress across the entire section. The weld thickness
Fantastic Fox
I have to design a lap fillet weld joining a plate to the top flange of an beam. There will be a force acting down on the plate so the weld will be bending. How do I calculate the stress on the weld?

l l <- Forces acting on the plate and beam
----------------- The plate is the length of the beam

Engineering news on Phys.org
For cover plate weld design, you have to calculate the longitudinal shear at the intersection of the cover plate and top flange of the beam. Does tau=VQ/It sound familiar?

I haven't used that equation before, so I have a few questions:

Is t = thickness of the flange or the breadth of the flange? Or, is it the thickness of the flange or the breadth of the plate?

When I have calculated tau, where do I go after that?
Force per inch of weld direct vertical shear = f = P/A? Then,calculate Force per inch of weld due to bending too? Add them, and divide by allowable force per inch of leg?
tau = shear load / (throat thickness)(length) to calculate t?
Thanks

Last edited:
yow, it's been 20 years since i designed my last weld. Too much managing and scheduling, and too little engineering. My recall is that you want shear flow, VQ/I , at the plate/beam interface (VQ/Ib gives you the shear stress in the beam at this interface, where b is the width of the flange, not its thickness, but this is irrelevant for the weld design.) So calculate 'I' for the built up member about its neutral axis, and Q (the moment area) of the plate (Q=area of cover plate times the distance from its centrioid to the neutral axis), and your result will be in kips per inch; usually you will have 2 welds on either side of the plate, so divide the result by 2, and that's the load per weld, and size its thickness accordingly (usually it's a minmum size fillet weld, because shear stress is not that big near the top of the section). BTW, the weld resists the bending load in shear, so this is weld shear stress, not bending stress.

EDIT: i just noted your query about adding the shear flow stress to the vertical shear V/A stress. The answer is NO. V/A shear stress is the average of the shear stress across the entire section. You don't want the average, you want the actual VQ/I at the interface. So just calculate it, and size the weld to take that force/in, and make its length continuous over the full length of the cover plate. If the weld thickness comes out less than the minimum required by codes, it will be oversized, so instead of making it continuous, you can make the weld intermittent at so many inches on center, if you want.

Last edited:

1. What is a lap fillet weld bending?

A lap fillet weld bending is a type of welding technique used to join two pieces of metal together by overlapping them and creating a fillet weld along the joint. This method is commonly used in structural and fabrication applications.

2. How does lap fillet weld bending differ from other welding techniques?

Lap fillet weld bending is different from other welding techniques because it does not require a groove or bevel to be cut into the metal pieces. Instead, the edges of the metal are overlapped and welded together, making it a quicker and more cost-effective method.

3. What factors should be considered when determining the appropriate lap fillet weld bending size?

The size of a lap fillet weld bending is determined by the thickness of the metal, the welding process being used, and the strength requirements of the joint. The American Welding Society (AWS) provides guidelines and specifications for determining the appropriate size based on these factors.

4. Are there any limitations to lap fillet weld bending?

Yes, there are a few limitations to lap fillet weld bending. This technique is not recommended for joining thicker metal pieces, as the weld may not have enough strength to hold the joint together. It is also not suitable for use in high-pressure or high-temperature applications.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when performing lap fillet weld bending?

Some common mistakes to avoid when performing lap fillet weld bending include not properly cleaning the metal surfaces before welding, using the wrong welding technique, and not following the recommended weld size and spacing. It is important to carefully follow the AWS guidelines and to have proper training and experience in order to avoid these mistakes.