Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Lap top hanging frequently - need help in this regard

1. Jul 13, 2011 #1
    lap top hanging frequently -- need help in this regard

I use hp pavilion laptop and i have original Norton Anti Virus 360 premier installed in it. The problem is my lap top gets hung frequently and this problem didn't arise when i run NAV everytime i go online. I go for full system scan everytime but i didn't receive any threat from viruses or malware when scanning was finished. But if i fail to run NAV simultaneously with my browsing, at some point of time my system gets hung? What could be the problem? Members, please help.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 14, 2011 #2
    Re: lap top hanging frequently -- need help in this regard

Check that the cooling fans on the processor is working properly or not. So ensure that the fan is working fine and is clean. If not, then get the fan replaced.
    If there are bad sectors which can not be repaired, then you need to replace your hard disc.

4. Jul 16, 2011 #3

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Wipe your hard drive and reinstall windows without installing Norton. Try AVAST or Avira [both free] for antivirus protection.

5. Jul 16, 2011 #4

Borg

Gold Member

I had a similar problem on a computer last year that had a trial version of Norton on it. It would only hang when I was online. Once I uninstalled it, my problems went away. I didn't have to wipe the hard drive though.

6. Jul 16, 2011 #5

MATLABdude

Science Advisor

I had a similar problem in a laptop I repaired a few years ago where the client had accidentally nuked his partition. After reinstalling Windows, I'd still get random shutdowns, especially during more intensive (hard disk and CPU-wise) operations like disk scanning / anti-virus scan / partition recovery.

Like markfinn, I disassembled the laptop, blew out 5 or 6 years worth of dust (TIP: do this outside), cleaned out and reapplied the heatsink paste (long since turned to some sort of flaky dust) and voilà, crash-free laptop.

If you suspect thermal shut down (e.g. it crashes whenever you play more demanding games, run scan disk, run anti-virus) the above will help. If not, you should probably just backup your files and then reinstall Windows.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook