Lap top hanging frequently - in this regard

• Thread starter logearav
  • Start date
In summary, the lap top hangs frequently and the problem didn't arise when i ran the Norton antivirus program. The possible causes of the problem are that the cooling fans on the processor are not working properly, the hard disc is full of bad sectors, or the antivirus software is not working. If the problem is not fixed by either of the above methods, the user should probably reinstall Windows.
logearav
lap top hanging frequently -- need help in this regard

I use hp pavilion laptop and i have original Norton Anti Virus 360 premier installed in it. The problem is my lap top gets hung frequently and this problem didn't arise when i run NAV everytime i go online. I go for full system scan everytime but i didn't receive any threat from viruses or malware when scanning was finished. But if i fail to run NAV simultaneously with my browsing, at some point of time my system gets hung? What could be the problem? Members, please help.

Computer science news on Phys.org

Check that the cooling fans on the processor is working properly or not. So ensure that the fan is working fine and is clean. If not, then get the fan replaced.
If there are bad sectors which can not be repaired, then you need to replace your hard disc.

Wipe your hard drive and reinstall windows without installing Norton. Try AVAST or Avira [both free] for antivirus protection.

I had a similar problem on a computer last year that had a trial version of Norton on it. It would only hang when I was online. Once I uninstalled it, my problems went away. I didn't have to wipe the hard drive though.

I had a similar problem in a laptop I repaired a few years ago where the client had accidentally nuked his partition. After reinstalling Windows, I'd still get random shutdowns, especially during more intensive (hard disk and CPU-wise) operations like disk scanning / anti-virus scan / partition recovery.

Like markfinn, I disassembled the laptop, blew out 5 or 6 years worth of dust (TIP: do this outside), cleaned out and reapplied the heatsink paste (long since turned to some sort of flaky dust) and voilà, crash-free laptop.

If you suspect thermal shut down (e.g. it crashes whenever you play more demanding games, run scan disk, run anti-virus) the above will help. If not, you should probably just backup your files and then reinstall Windows.

1. Why does my laptop hang frequently?

There could be several reasons for your laptop hanging frequently. It could be due to a lack of memory or storage space, outdated software or drivers, overheating, or malware/virus infections. It is best to troubleshoot and identify the specific cause to resolve the issue.

2. How can I prevent my laptop from hanging?

To prevent your laptop from hanging frequently, make sure to regularly update your software and drivers, clear up unnecessary files and programs to free up space, use a cooling pad to prevent overheating, and install anti-virus software to protect against malware/virus infections.

3. Is it normal for a laptop to hang occasionally?

It is not normal for a laptop to hang frequently, but occasional hangs may occur due to heavy usage or running multiple programs at once. If the laptop is hanging frequently, it is best to investigate and resolve the underlying issue.

4. How do I troubleshoot a hanging laptop?

To troubleshoot a hanging laptop, you can try restarting the device, running a virus scan, updating software and drivers, freeing up space, and checking for any hardware issues. If the problem persists, seeking professional help may be necessary.

5. Can a virus cause my laptop to hang frequently?

Yes, a virus or malware infection can cause your laptop to hang frequently. These malicious programs can slow down your system and cause it to freeze or crash. It is essential to have anti-virus software installed and regularly scan your device for any threats.