Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Medical Laparoscopic fundoplication

1. Jun 19, 2008 #1

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Yes, I'm about to put the FUN in fundoplication. I'm having surgery next Friday to pull my stomach out of my esophagus and open the stricture.

Not as bad as pulling my foot out of my mouth, I guess.

They're going to take the top part of my stomach and wrap it around my esophagus and then stitch it together. Yeehah!!!

Wait, possible side affect "an inability to vomit". Uhm what happens to the vomit? Oh, no, I think I will pass on that side effect, thankyouverymuch.

Anyway, here is what the doctor gave me to show the procedure. Hmmmm, smaller stomach, can't eat as much. :!!)

I'm having the full wrap.

http://wishard.kramesonline.com/3,S,82182

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 19, 2008 #2

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

How did your stomach get into your esophagus? I didn't know stomachs could wander around like that.

4. Jun 19, 2008 #3

Evo

This is Evo we're talking about. Apparently my stomach tripped and wound up shoved up into my chest via my esophagus. :bugeye:

Ooooh, and I got to see all of the lovely color photos of it from the endoscopy. Yep, there was my stomach in a place it wasn't supposed to be. :biggrin:

Last edited: Jun 19, 2008
  5. Jun 19, 2008 #4

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

wow! A clumsy stomach??? only you, Evo!!

Well, I'm sure this is going to make you feel so much better. I've heard amazing things about those laproscopic procedures. Supposed to have minimal scarring and shorter recovery times. Still, I think with you and Tsu laid up, we're going to have to open a sisterhood infirmary!

6. Jun 19, 2008 #5

Evo

Stay waaaay back MIH!!!

We need a few sisters to remain strong while we are down. Although, I should be back to abnormal within a few weeks. :approve:

7. Jun 20, 2008 #6
    :bugeye: Wow, Evo, that's heavy. But I hear that those overhaul sections in the hospitals are pretty good today.

All the best

8. Jun 20, 2008 #7

Borek

Not only her, I have similar problems. Just on much smaller scale.

Fingers crossed Evo! But you don't need stomach to post on PF, just a free hand and keyboard :wink:

9. Jun 20, 2008 #8

NoTime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Best wishes on your upcoming fun.

10. Jun 20, 2008 #9

Evo

Thanks guys! If it works, I will be very happy.

11. Jun 20, 2008 #10

Astronuc

That's pretty big deal it seems. I hope all goes well with the surgery and with the post-op recovery, and I hope it solves the GERD issue.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery!

12. Jun 20, 2008 #11
    I'm sure it will all go great and you'll be feeling good again very soon. Even if you half to eat smaller amounts, food is going to be fun again!

13. Jun 20, 2008 #12

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Oh my, that sounds...well...it sounds like :surprised:surprised:surprised !

Abdominal surgery is no picnic, and you won't be picnicing for a while. But if they're doing it laproscopically that's a huge improvement - I hope it drastically improves your recovery time.

Wow, what they can do laproscopically these days...amazing.

14. Jun 20, 2008 #13

Evo

Yeah, instead of a single incision, they will make FIVE incisions over the entire abdomen. Sounds much better. :frown:

15. Jun 22, 2008 #14

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

When you break yourself, you sure do a good job of it. Now they have to tie your insides into knots just to hold you together. :rolleyes: I'm not sure a smaller stomach is a good thing for YOU though...unless it's only the GERD that keeps you eating so little already. But, if a potential side effect is that you can't vomit and you're going to have a teeny stomach that won't fit so much, please be careful you don't pop yourself next. :bugeye:

16. Jun 22, 2008 #15

Tsu

Gold Member

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Sis, trust me. 5 tiny little holes are WAY better than a large incision that has to cut through large amounts of muscle and nerves. Is this an out patient procedure or do you have to stay overnight. Oh boy. Yer gonna have so much FUN!!! :biggrin:

We'll throw some pre and post parties for you. Sisters!!! Prepare your ImageShack!! :rofl:

17. Jun 22, 2008 #16

Evo

It's a hospital stay of 1-3 days. I'm hoping I can go home the next day.

MB, with the GERD I vomit all of the time, so I guess I can use half a stomach to compensate. Over time, I think it will stretch out.

I'm really afraid of not being able to vomit, because sometimes vomiting is a "good" thing. Even if it's only to relieve nausea. I can't imagine feeling sick and not being able to vomit. And with the risks I take with the things I eat, like green ham, I'd hate to think it would be stuck in there and my body fighting to send it back out. THAT scares me the most. :frown:

18. Jun 22, 2008 #17

OmCheeto

Gold Member

I googled "home stomach pumping kit", but couldn't find anything suitable.
    Stay away from those green hams, young lady!

19. Jun 22, 2008 #18

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Wait until you're all puffed up like a blowfish with CO2. Hopefully you can still burp even if you can't vomit.

Yeah, five tiny incisions is WAY better than what is described if they have to make the big one...it sounds like they'd slice you open like a gutted fish! Just in case, eat as much as you can until you're told you have to start fasting for surgery, so you're up to full strength if there are a few days you're not able to eat much of anything during recovery.

I guess the inability to vomit would be due to nerve injury during the surgery?

And no more eating food without your glasses on first! Green ham is not a good idea if you can't vomit...actually, it's not a very good idea any day.

20. Jun 22, 2008 #19

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes, that was my first thought, too. Even though I don't vomit often, when I do, I REALLY need to (I seem to get food poisoning more than normal people :frown: ). Will they be able to pump your stomach, I wonder?

21. Jun 22, 2008 #20

Evo

I wonder if I can get a DYI stomach pumping kit? I can't go to the emergency room every time I feel sick.

Ok, I will not have trouble vomiting, I've decided, it's not an acceptable side affect. :grumpy:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?