Laplace electric potential on circular disk with piecewise boundary condition.

In summary, the problem is the Cauchy-Euler type and we need to have u(r,\pi) = u(r,-\pi) as well as the derivatives equal.
Dustinsfl
Solve Laplace's equation on a circular disk of radius [itex]a[/itex] subject to the piecewise boundary condition
$$
u(a,\theta) = \begin{cases}
1, & \frac{\pi}{2} - \epsilon < \theta < \frac{\pi}{2} + \epsilon\\
0, & \text{otherwise}
\end{cases}
$$
where [itex]\epsilon \ll 1[/itex].
Physically, this would reflect the electric potential distribution on a conducting disk whose edge is almost completely grounded except a small portion of angular extent [itex]\Delta\theta = 2\epsilon[/itex] around the location [itex]\theta = \frac{\pi}{2}[/itex].
Obtain the solution to this problem and plot the solution for the case of [itex]a = 1[/itex] and [itex]\epsilon = 0.05[/itex].

By separation of variables, we have
$$
\begin{cases}
\Theta(\theta) = A\cos\lambda\theta + B\sin\lambda\theta\\
R(r) = r^{\pm\lambda}
\end{cases}
$$
So how do I use the conditions now?

Physics news on Phys.org
Dustinsfl said:
Solve Laplace's equation on a circular disk of radius [itex]a[/itex] subject to the piecewise boundary condition
$$
u(a,\theta) = \begin{cases}
1, & \frac{\pi}{2} - \epsilon < \theta < \frac{\pi}{2} + \epsilon\\
0, & \text{otherwise}
\end{cases}
$$
where [itex]\epsilon \ll 1[/itex].
Physically, this would reflect the electric potential distribution on a conducting disk whose edge is almost completely grounded except a small portion of angular extent [itex]\Delta\theta = 2\epsilon[/itex] around the location [itex]\theta = \frac{\pi}{2}[/itex].
Obtain the solution to this problem and plot the solution for the case of [itex]a = 1[/itex] and [itex]\epsilon = 0.05[/itex].

By separation of variables, we have
$$
\begin{cases}
\Theta(\theta) = A\cos\lambda\theta + B\sin\lambda\theta\\
R(r) = r^{\pm\lambda}
\end{cases}
$$
So how do I use the conditions now?

The cosines and sines should have square roots over the lambdas, no? And can't you eliminate the ##r^{-\lambda}## by assuming the solution is bounded at the origin? And I'm guessing you have some unstated condition that will give you the eigenvalues ##\lambda##. Once you have that you should be able to finish the problem with a Fourier Series to fit the boundary condition at ##r=a##.

LCKurtz said:
The cosines and sines should have square roots over the lambdas, no? And can't you eliminate the ##r^{-\lambda}## by assuming the solution is bounded at the origin? And I'm guessing you have some unstated condition that will give you the eigenvalues ##\lambda##. Once you have that you should be able to finish the problem with a Fourier Series to fit the boundary condition at ##r=a##.

That is everything. I have [itex]\lambda[/itex] because I set the ODEs to [itex]-\lambda^2[/itex]
I am still not sure on how to proceed with the conditions.
$$
\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}r^{\lambda_n}(A\cos\lambda_n \theta + B\sin\lambda_n\theta)
$$

Dustinsfl said:
That is everything. I have [itex]\lambda[/itex] because I set the ODEs to [itex]-\lambda^2[/itex]
I am still not sure on how to proceed with the conditions.
$$
\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}r^{\lambda_n}(A\cos\lambda_n \theta + B\sin\lambda_n\theta)
$$

Then ##R(r) = r^{\lambda_n}##. If you had the ##\lambda_n## you would just set$$
u(a,\theta)=\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}a^{\lambda_n}(A_n \cos \lambda_n \theta + B_n\sin\lambda_n\theta)$$and solve for the ##A_n## and ##B_n## with Fourier series. But first you need to figure out the distinct eigenvalues ##\lambda_n=\mu_n^2## from some explicit or implicit condition in the problem, which I don't know.

Last edited:
LCKurtz said:
Then ##R(r) = r^{\lambda_n^2}##. If you had the ##\lambda_n## you would just set$$
u(a,\theta)=\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}a^{\lambda_n^2}(A_n\cos\lambda_n \theta + B_n\sin\lambda_n\theta)$$and solve for the ##A_n## and ##B_n## with Fourier series. But first you need to figure out the distinct eigenvalues ##\lambda_n=\mu_n^2## from some explicit or implicit condition in the problem, which I don't know.

All the information is there. Typo I didn't mean -\lambda^2
$$
\frac{r^2R''+rR'}{R} = \lambda^2\iff r^2R''+rR'-\lambda^2R
$$
The problem is the Cauchy-Euler type.
$$
r^n[n(n-1)+n-\lambda^2] = 0\Rightarrow n^2 = \lambda^2\Rightarrow n = \lambda
$$

OK, I agree about the non-squared powers on the ##\lambda_n## and edited my post accordingly. But I'm afraid I can't help you with regard to determining the distinct values of the ##\lambda's##. There is something we are missing which is likely implicit in the polar coordinate function, but I don't know what it is.

LCKurtz said:
OK, I agree about the non-squared powers on the ##\lambda_n## and edited my post accordingly. But I'm afraid I can't help you with regard to determining the distinct values of the ##\lambda's##. There is something we are missing which is likely implicit in the polar coordinate function, but I don't know what it is.

We have to have ##u(r,\pi) = u(r,-\pi)## as well as the derivatives equal. I am glad you said that. I felt I missing some BC.
$$
u(r,\theta) = \alpha_0 + \beta_0\ln r + \sum_{n=1}^{\infty}r^{\lambda_n}(A_n\cos\lambda_n \theta + B_n\sin\lambda_n\theta)
$$
So now how do I use the piecewise condition?

Last edited:
Dustinsfl said:
We have to have ##u(r,\pi) = u(r,-\pi)## as well as the derivatives equal. I am glad you said that. I felt I missing some BC.
$$
u(r,\theta) = \alpha_0 + \beta_0\ln r + \sum_{n=1}^{\infty}r^{\lambda_n}(A_n\cos\lambda_n \theta + B_n\sin\lambda_n\theta)
$$
So now how do I use the piecewise condition?

Where did that ## \alpha_0 + \beta_0\ln r ## suddenly come from? I know the answer to that, but do you have something you need to show me?

So use your new boundary conditions on ##\Theta(\theta)## to figure out the eigenvalues ##\lambda_n##. What do you get? You need to do that before you are ready to write the form of the solution for ##u(r,\theta)## and address the boundary condition.

1. What is Laplace electric potential?

Laplace electric potential, also known as electrostatic potential, is a scalar quantity that describes the potential energy per unit charge at a given point in an electric field. It is a fundamental concept in electrostatics and is used to calculate the electric potential at any point in space due to one or more electric charges.

2. How is Laplace electric potential different from electric potential?

Laplace electric potential is a specific case of electric potential in which the electric field is assumed to be static and has no time dependence. This simplifies the calculation of electric potential and is often used in situations where the electric field is constant, such as in a parallel plate capacitor.

3. What is the mathematical formula for calculating Laplace electric potential?

The mathematical formula for Laplace electric potential is V = kQ/r, where V is the electric potential, k is the Coulomb's constant (8.99 x 10^9 Nm^2/C^2), Q is the electric charge, and r is the distance from the charge.

4. What are some real-world applications of Laplace electric potential?

Laplace electric potential is used in various fields, including electrical engineering, physics, and chemistry. Some applications include determining the capacitance of a capacitor, calculating the voltage in a circuit, and understanding the behavior of charged particles in an electric field.

5. Can Laplace electric potential be negative?

Yes, Laplace electric potential can be negative. A negative potential indicates that the electric field is attractive, while a positive potential indicates that the electric field is repulsive. The magnitude of the potential does not affect the direction of the electric field, only the sign does.