Laplace Eq. in Cylindrical coordinates (no origin)

In summary, the Laplace equation in cylindrical coordinates is a partial differential equation that describes the relationship between second-order spatial derivatives of a function in three-dimensional space. It represents the distribution of potential or scalar field in a cylindrical region with no sources or sinks present and is used in physics to model various phenomena. Its significance lies in its independence from the origin, but it also has limitations such as assuming steady-state and not accounting for time-dependent processes or external forces.
chimay
Hi,
I need to solve Laplace equation:##\nabla ^2 \Phi(x,r)=0## in cylindrical domain ##r_1<r<r_2##, ##0<z<+\infty##. The boundary conditions are:
##
\left\{
\begin{aligned}
&\Phi(0,r)=V_B \\
& -{C^{'}}_{ox} \Phi(x,r_2)=C_0 \frac{\partial \Phi(x,r)}{\partial r}\rvert_{r=r_2} \\
&\frac{\partial \Phi(x,r)}{\partial r}\rvert_{r=r_1}=0 \\
&\lim_{z\rightarrow \infty} \Phi(z,r)=0
\end{aligned}
\right.
##
By separation of variables, I can write the solution as:
##
\Phi_(z,r)=e^{-\lambda z}(A J_0(\lambda r)+BY_0(\lambda r))
##
By applying the first boundary condition I get:
##
\sum_{m=1}^{\infty} A_m J_0(\lambda_m r)+B_m Y_0(\lambda_m r)=V_B
##
Now I can compute a first relation between ##A_m## and ##B_m## by exploiting orthogonality between different scaled Bessel functions (##i \ne m##):
##
\left\{
\begin{aligned}
& \int_{r_1}^ {r_2} r J_0(\lambda_i r)J_0(\lambda_m r) dr =0 \\
& \int_{r_1}^ {r_2} r J_0(\lambda_i r)Y_0(\lambda_m r) dr =0 \\
& \int_{r_1}^ {r_2} r Y_0(\lambda_i r)Y_0(\lambda_m r) dr =0
\end{aligned}
\right.
##
by virtue of the second and the third boundary conditions, as it is explained here (http://www.hit.ac.il/staff/benzionS/Differential.Equations/Orthogonality_of_Bessel_functions.htm)
and it was pointed out also here
(https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/laplace-eq-in-cylindrical-coordinates.915420/)

My question is the following:
Assume the second boundary condition was ## {C^{'}}_{ox} (V_G - \Phi(x,r_2))=C_0 \frac{\partial \Phi(x,r)}{\partial r}\rvert_{r=r_2} ##, ##V_G=constant##. It seems to me that in this case the orthogonality conditions are not valid anymore, because of the presence of the constant term ##V_G##.
1) Is this true ?
2) How can I proceed in this case?

Thank you all

Edit: I am having some doubts also about the integrals concerning ##Y_0##. Are they the same as the ones that involve ##J_0##?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

it is important to approach this problem in a systematic and logical manner. Here are some steps you can take to solve this problem:

1. Start by clearly defining the problem and the given boundary conditions. This will help you understand the problem better and identify any potential issues or discrepancies.

2. Next, review the approach you have taken so far and make sure it is correct. It is always a good idea to double-check your work and make sure you have not made any mistakes.

3. If you are unsure about the validity of the orthogonality conditions in the new boundary condition, you can try to derive them yourself using the new boundary condition. This will help you understand if and how the orthogonality conditions have changed.

4. It may also be helpful to look for similar problems or examples where a similar boundary condition has been used and see how the solution was obtained in those cases.

5. If you are still unsure about how to proceed, you can consult with colleagues or experts in the field for their insights and suggestions.

Remember, as a scientist, it is important to be thorough and meticulous in your approach to problem solving. Good luck with your research!

1. What is the Laplace equation in cylindrical coordinates?

The Laplace equation is a partial differential equation that describes the relationship between the second-order spatial derivatives of a function in three-dimensional space. In cylindrical coordinates, the Laplace equation is written as:

∇²f = 1/r ∂/∂r(r ∂f/∂r) + 1/r² ∂²f/∂θ² + ∂²f/∂z² = 0

2. What does the Laplace equation in cylindrical coordinates represent?

The Laplace equation in cylindrical coordinates represents the distribution of potential, or the rate of change of a scalar field, in a cylindrical region with no sources or sinks present.

3. How is the Laplace equation in cylindrical coordinates used in physics?

The Laplace equation in cylindrical coordinates is used in physics to model various phenomena such as heat flow, fluid flow, and electromagnetic fields. It is also used in solving boundary value problems and determining the equilibrium state of a system.

4. What is the significance of the absence of an origin in the Laplace equation in cylindrical coordinates?

The absence of an origin in the Laplace equation in cylindrical coordinates indicates that the solution is independent of the location within the cylindrical region. This means that the potential or scalar field is the same at any point along the same radius, regardless of the distance from the origin.

5. Are there any limitations to using the Laplace equation in cylindrical coordinates?

While the Laplace equation in cylindrical coordinates is a powerful tool in solving partial differential equations, it does have some limitations. It assumes that the system is in steady-state and does not account for time-dependent processes. It also does not take into account external forces or boundary conditions that may change with time or location.