1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Laplace equation charge reflection

1. Sep 16, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Show that

If [itex]\phi[/itex](x,y,z) is a solution of Laplace's equation, show that
    [itex]\frac{1}{r}\phi (\frac{x}{r^2} ,\frac{y}{r^2} , \frac{z}{r^2} )[/itex] is also a solution

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

let [itex]\psi= \frac{1}{r} \phi (\frac{x}{r^2} ,\frac{y}{r^2} , \frac{z}{r^2} )[/itex] is a solution.

Then in the spherical coordinate,

[itex]\psi=\frac{1}{r} \phi ( \frac{1}{r} , \theta , \varphi )[/itex]

So input [itex]\psi [/itex] to the spherical laplace equation.

[itex]\frac{1}{r^2}\frac{∂}{∂r} (r^2 \frac{∂\psi}{∂r}) = \frac {2}{r^4} \frac{∂\phi}{∂r} - \frac{1}{r^3} \frac{∂^2 \phi}{∂r^2} [/itex]

The derivation with other angles, same to the original one, except 1/r times factor.

But the r part for the original one is

[itex]\frac{1}{r^2}\frac{∂}{∂r} (r^2 \frac{∂\phi}{∂r}) = \frac {2}{r} \frac{∂\phi}{∂r} + \frac{∂^2 \phi}{∂r^2} [/itex]

What's wrong with me?
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 17, 2012 #2

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Here you are assuming what you are trying to prove. That is not usually a good idea.

Instead, just compute the Laplacian of [itex]\psi= \frac{1}{r} \phi (\frac{x}{r^2} ,\frac{y}{r^2} , \frac{z}{r^2} )[/itex] and show that it is zero if [itex]\nabla^2 \phi(x,y,z)=0[/itex]

No. What are [itex]x[/itex], [itex]y[/itex] and [itex]z[/itex] in terms of spherical coordinates [itex]r[/itex], [itex]\theta[/itex] and [itex]\varphi[/itex]? What does that make [itex]\frac{x}{r^2}[/itex], [itex]\frac{y}{r^2}[/itex], and [itex]\frac{z}{r^2}[/itex]?

4. Sep 17, 2012 #3

[itex]\psi= \frac{1}{r} \phi (\frac{x}{r^2} ,\frac{y}{r^2} , \frac{z}{r^2} )= \frac{1}{r} \phi(\frac{sin \theta cos\varphi}{r}, \frac{sin \theta sin\varphi}{r},\frac{cos \theta}{r})[/itex]

[itex] \frac{∂}{∂r} \phi(\frac{sin \theta cos\varphi}{r}, \frac{sin \theta sin\varphi}{r},\frac{cos \theta}{r})= -( \frac{ sin\theta cos\varphi}{r^2} \frac{∂\phi}{∂(\frac{sin \theta cos\varphi}{r})}+\frac{ sin\theta sin\varphi}{r^2} \frac{∂\phi}{∂(\frac{sin \theta sin\varphi}{r})}+\frac{ cos\theta}{r^2}\frac{∂\phi}{∂(\frac{sin \theta sin\varphi}{r})} ) [/itex]

Then how can I calculate the terms like [itex] \frac{∂\phi}{∂(\frac{sin \theta cos\varphi}{r})}[/itex]?

5. Sep 17, 2012 #4

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

good.

Just use a substitution like [itex]\bar{x} \equiv \frac{\sin \theta \cos\varphi}{r}[/itex], [itex]\bar{y} \equiv \frac{\sin \theta \sin\varphi}{r}[/itex], and [itex]\bar{z} \equiv \frac{\cos \theta}{r}[/itex] to make it easier to write:

[tex]\frac{\partial \phi\left( \frac{x}{r^2} ,\frac{y}{r^2} , \frac{z}{r^2} \right)}{\partial (\frac{\sin \theta \cos\varphi}{r})} = \frac{ \partial \phi( \bar{x}, \bar{y}, \bar{z})}{ \partial \bar{x}}[/tex]?

In the end, you should get something like [itex]\nabla^2 \psi = \text{some factor} * \left[ \frac{ \partial^2 \phi( \bar{x}, \bar{y}, \bar{z})}{ \partial^2 \bar{x}} + \frac{ \partial^2 \phi( \bar{x}, \bar{y}, \bar{z})}{ \partial^2 \bar{y}} + \frac{ \partial^2 \phi( \bar{x}, \bar{y}, \bar{z})}{ \partial^2 \bar{z}} \right][/itex]

Aside: Changing the size on all your posts makes them difficult to read (for my eyes anyways), please stop it.

6. Apr 6, 2013 #5
    I am stuck on this too

Hi!

I was just trying to solve this problem through this same approach (make the substitutions [itex]\overline{x}=\sin(\theta)\cos(\phi)/r[/itex], etc...). But it turns out to be *very* complicated. Do you have finished this one? Can you show me more explicit steps? Thanks a lot!!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted