1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Laplace equation in an annulus with Neumann BCs

1. Oct 4, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Solve Laplace's equation inside a circular annulus (ring) (a < r < b) subject to the BCs:

[tex]\frac{\partial{u}}{\partial{r}}\left({a,}\theta\right)&={f}\left(\theta\right)[/tex]

[tex]\frac{\partial{u}}{\partial{r}}\left({b,}\theta\right)&={g}\left(\theta\right)[/tex]

2. Relevant equations

[tex]\nabla^{2}{u}&=0[/tex]

I also believe because of the physics of a ring, we have additional BCs:

[tex]{u}\left({r,-}\pi\right)&={u}\left({r,}\pi\right)[/tex]

[tex]\frac{\partial{u}}{\partial{\theta}}\left({r,-}\pi\right)&=\frac{\partial{u}}{\partial{\theta}}\left({r,}\pi\right)[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

I have used separation of variables to arrive at a general solution:

[tex]{u}\left({r,}\theta\right)&={A}_0+{B}_0\ln{r}+\sum^{\infty}_{n=1}{r}^{n}\left({A}_{n}\cos{n}\theta+{B}_{n}\sin{n}\theta\right)+{r}^{-n}\left({C}_{n}\cos{n}\theta+{D}_{n}\sin{n}\theta\right)[/tex]

This solution takes into account the periodic boundary conditions specified above under "Relevant Equations", but I am struggling to correctly apply the Neumann BCs specified by the problem in order to arrive at equations for the arbitrary constants.

I try to take the partial derivative of u(r,theta) with respect to r and arrive at:

[tex]\frac{\partial{u}}{\partial{r}}&=\frac{{B}_0}{r}+\sum^{\infty}_{n=1}{n}{r}^{n-1}\left({A}_{n}\cos{n}\theta+{B}_{n}\sin{n}\theta\right)-{nr}^{-n-1}\left({C}_{n}\cos{n}\theta+{D}_{n}\sin{n}\theta\right)[/tex]

I don't know how I can apply Fourier series (assuming that is what I'm supposed to do) to solve for each of the coefficients (A,B,C,D).

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?