Separable Solutions of Laplace's Equation in Polar Coordinates

In summary: V. my solutions arecombinations of sinmtheta cosmtheta r^m and r^-m. is there a way to do this through an expansion?There is no one-size-fits-all answer to this question, as the method used to generate solutions for Laplace's equation will vary depending on the specific situation. However, one approach which could be used is to use a power series expansion.
briteliner

Homework Statement

Laplace's equation in 2 dimensions may be written, using plane polar coordinates r, θ, as
cramster-equation-20093301451186337.gif

Find all separable solutions of this equation which have the form V(r, θ)=R(r)S(θ), which are single valued for all r, θ. What property of the equation makes any linear combination of such solutions also a solution?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

i get how to separate the variables and i am left with to expressions equaling a constant. but from there it doesn't make sense to me how to end up with 2 solutions

Physics news on Phys.org
assume a seperable solution then sub it in and do the derivatives. then multiply thorugh by [itex]\frac{r^2}{RS}[/itex]

if you make your constant [itex]\lambda[/itex] you should get a nice solution for [itex]\lambda>0[/itex] hint : let [itex]R=r^m[/itex] with m a constant. the others will be less pretty unless you have simplifying boundary conditions.

ok, got it thanks. the second part of the question which i didnt include before is:
A continuous potential V(r, θ) satisfies Laplace's equation everywhere except on the concentric circles r=a, r=b where b>a.
(i) Given that V(r=a, θ)=Vo(1+cos θ), and that V is finite as r-->infinity , find V in the region r less than or equal to a
(ii) given, separately, that V(r=0, θ)=2Vo and V is finite as r--> ∞, find V for r≥b

for (i), i don't really know how to select solutions for that V. my solutions arecombinations of sinmtheta cosmtheta r^m and r^-m. is there a way to do this through an expansion?

ok i think that the periodicity of the cos term means that the solutions for [itex]\lambda<0[/itex] are useless here and the [itex]\lambda=0[/itex] solutions will be trivial after you apply the b.c. that it must be finit as r goes to infinity.

so for the [itex]\lambda>0[/itex] solutions i have

[itex]V=(Ar^n+Br^{-n})(C \cos{n \theta} + D \sin{n \theta})[/itex]

for this to be finite at infinity what can you say about the coefficient of [itex]r^n[/itex]

then for finding V in the region r<a, your right to think of expansions, consider

[itex]\frac{1}{2}c_0 + \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} r^{-m} (c_n \cos{n \theta} + d_n \sin{n \theta})[/itex]

equate this to the boundary condition you have and you should be able to work out the relative non-zero coefficients.

my answer : [itex]V(r<a)=2V_0+\frac{aV_0}{r}[/itex]

for this to be finite at infinity what can you say about the coefficient of [itex]r^n[/itex]

Well Br^-n goes to 0 so A should be a constant or 1 so that the whole expression doesn't go to zero?

zero is finite though. so that's allowed. what is not allowed is have [itex]\infty^n[/itex]. so what can you say about A and B now?

ok so should i then just throw out the solutions r^n and r^-n since they don't meet the initial condition?

1. What is the Laplace equation in polars?

The Laplace equation in polars is a partial differential equation that describes the variation of a scalar function in two dimensions. It is written as ∇2u = 0, where u is the scalar function and ∇2 is the Laplace operator.

2. What is the physical significance of Laplace equation in polars?

The Laplace equation in polars has many physical applications, such as in electrostatics, fluid mechanics, and heat transfer. It describes the equilibrium state of a system where the scalar function u does not change with time.

3. How is the Laplace equation in polars solved?

There are several methods for solving the Laplace equation in polars, including separation of variables, the method of images, and the use of complex analysis. Each method has its own advantages and limitations and the choice of method depends on the specific problem at hand.

4. What are the boundary conditions for solving the Laplace equation in polars?

The boundary conditions for solving the Laplace equation in polars depend on the specific problem being solved. In general, boundary conditions are needed at the boundaries of the region where the scalar function u is defined. These conditions can be specified as Dirichlet conditions, where u is given at the boundary, or as Neumann conditions, where the normal derivative of u is given at the boundary.

5. Can the Laplace equation in polars be extended to three dimensions?

Yes, the Laplace equation in polars can be extended to three dimensions, resulting in the Laplace equation in cylindrical coordinates. This equation is written as ∇2u = 0 and is used to describe the variation of a scalar function in three dimensions. It has many applications in physics and engineering, such as in the study of cylindrical objects and systems.