Laplace equation in spherical coordinates

In summary, the task is to verify the harmonic nature of the functions (2.19) in appropriate domains in ℝ2 by direct substitution in Laplace's equation. The Laplace equation in spherical coordinates is provided as a reference. Further clarification is needed on what specifically to substitute and how to approach the problem.
romsofia

Homework Statement

Verify by direct substitution in Laplace's equation that the functions (2.19) are harmonic in in appropriate domains in ℝ2

Homework Equations

(2.19)= [tex]{u_n(r, \theta)= \lbrace{1,r^{n}cos(n \theta), r^{n}sin(n \theta), n= 1, 2...; log(r), r^{-n}cos(n \theta), r^{-n}sin(n \theta); n= 1, 2,...; \rbrace}}[/tex]

Should look like a piece-wise function (Don't know how to do that in latex).

Laplace equation in spherical coordinates
[tex]{\Delta u = \frac{1}{r^{n-1}} \frac{\partial (r^{n-1}\frac{\partial u(r, \theta)}{\partial r})}{\partial r} + \frac{1}{r^{2}} \frac{\partial^2 u(r, \theta)}{\partial^2 \theta} = 0}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't what I'm suppose to substitute, do I substitute the whole thing into the Laplace equation, each time I see u(r, θ)?

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't understand what this question is asking me to do. If I substitute the whole thing in, I don't see how the equation would equal 0.

1. What is Laplace equation in spherical coordinates?

The Laplace equation in spherical coordinates is a partial differential equation that describes the relationship between a scalar function and its derivatives in a three-dimensional spherical coordinate system. It is often used in physics and engineering to model a wide range of physical phenomena, such as heat conduction, fluid dynamics, and electrostatics.

2. What is the general form of Laplace equation in spherical coordinates?

The general form of Laplace equation in spherical coordinates is:

2φ = 1/r2 ∂/∂r(r2 ∂φ/∂r) + 1/(r2 sinθ) ∂/∂θ(sinθ ∂φ/∂θ) + 1/(r2 sin2θ) ∂2φ/∂φ2 = 0

where φ is the scalar function, r is the radial distance, θ is the polar angle, and φ is the azimuthal angle.

3. What are the boundary conditions for Laplace equation in spherical coordinates?

The boundary conditions for Laplace equation in spherical coordinates depend on the specific physical problem being modeled. However, some common boundary conditions include specifying the value of the scalar function at a specific point, setting the normal derivative of the function to a constant value at a boundary, or specifying the flux of the function through a boundary.

4. How is Laplace equation in spherical coordinates solved?

Laplace equation in spherical coordinates can be solved using various methods, including separation of variables, Green's functions, and numerical techniques such as finite difference or finite element methods. The choice of method depends on the complexity of the problem and the desired level of accuracy.

5. What are some applications of Laplace equation in spherical coordinates?

Laplace equation in spherical coordinates has numerous applications in physics and engineering, including modeling of heat conduction in spherical objects, flow of fluids in spherical vessels, and electrostatics in spherical conductors. It is also used in geophysics to model the gravimetric and magnetic fields of the Earth and other planets.