1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Laplace Equation - Wedge

1. Apr 17, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data I need to solve the Laplace equation, u_rr + (1/r)u_r + (1/r^2)u_{theta}{theta} = 0,
    on a circular wedge with radius R, angle {alpha}, where u(r,0) = 0, u(R,{theta}) = 0, and
    u(r,{alpha}) = 50.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution Separate variables - u(r,{theta}) = P(r)Q({theta}), and we have the equations

Q'' + (k^2)Q = 0, (r^2)P'' + rP' - (k^2)P = 0, where k is a constant. Q_n = Asin(n{theta})+Bcos(n{theta}), P_n = C(r^n).

Since u(r,0) = 0, B = 0. Now, since u(R,{theta}) = 0, this must mean R^n = 0, hence
    R = 0, so u = 0 for all r, {theta}. Is this reasoning correct?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 17, 2010 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

No, it isn't. You don't get just rn but you also get r-n. And I would suggest using something other than n since it isn't restricted to integer values with only one theta boundary condition. Perhaps μ would be better. So you have sin(μθ) and you have {rμ,r}, or equivalently {eμln(r),e-μln(r)} or, even better, {cosh(μln(r)),sinh(μln(r)}. This would give a two parameter family Acosh(μln(r)) + Bsinh(μln(r)), which looks like an addition formula. Since you have a zero boundary condition when r = R, this suggests even another choice for a two parameter family:

P(r) = A sinh(μln(r) + B)

Then P(R) = A sinh(μln(R) + B) and this can be made to be 0 by picking B = -μln(R).

This gives P(r) = A sinh(μln(r)-μln(R)) = A sinh(μln(r/R))

So at this point you have:

Qμ = sin(μθ) and Pμ=sinh(μln(r/R)).

These work in your DE and solve the homogeneous BC's. Hopefully, you can take it from there because it's been too long since I have looked at this stuff.

4. Apr 17, 2010 #3
    I thought the r^(-n) part was removed because then the solution would go to infinity at r = 0.

5. Apr 17, 2010 #4

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You didn't give careful statements of your boundary conditions but I would expect they are something like this:

u(r,0) = 0, 0 < r < R
    u(R,θ) = 0, 0 < θ < α
    u(r,α) = 50, 0 < r < R

In particular you aren't giving u(0,0) and the first and third conditions would disagree if you tried. So I don't see where keeping the r is ruled out. And you need it to get your second boundary condition as I have shown. Your separated equation for P(r) has a singular point at r =0.

You can verify that u(r,θ) = Asin(μθ)sinh(μln(r/R)) satisfies the DE and the homogeneous BC's. But, like I said, you're on your own from here.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook