1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Laplace equation

1. Apr 21, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I need to solve Laplace equation in the domain D= 0 < x,y < pi

Neumann boundary conditions are given:

2. The attempt at a solution

first, we check that the integral of directional derivative of u on the edge of D is zero. This should be the necessary condition for the existence of a solution to the problem. the condition is satisfied (the integral is zero indeed), but why is this condition sufficient and not only necessary?

Anyway, assuming a solution does exist, I propose a solution of the form u=X(x)Y(t), and solving the appropriate SL system I find that the solution sould be of the form:
    u(x,y)= A+sigma{Cos(nx)*[Cosh(ny)+Sinh(ny)]}

but the solution should have the form

u(x,y)= A+By+sigma{Cos(nx)*[Coshny+Cosh[n(y-pi)]}

where does the By come from? and does Cosh[n(y-pi)] equal Sinhny? It doesn't make sense because for example if we have y=pi , Cosh[n(y-pi)] = 1, while Sinh(ny) gives an infinite number of answers, depending on n.

Thanks in advance...:)
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 21, 2008 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I don't understand this. What makes you think this condition is sufficient?

The By is because of that "+1" on the du/dy at both y= 0 and y=[itex]\pi[/itex].
  4. Apr 21, 2008 #3
    Well, this is what they write in the answer, that here the condition is "necessary and sufficient"....
    I guess it is not merely a mistake, because this is not the first time I encounter this argument.

any suggestions regarding the problem in the equation:
  5. Oct 12, 2008 #4
    It's to satisfy the boundary conditions at 0 and pi.
    solutions are u(x,y)=A exp(ny) + Bexp(-ny)
    or =a sinh(ny)+bcosh(ny)
    or =cosh(ny)+cosh n(y-pi) this satisfy thr BC at 0 and pi
    The laplace equation is invariant under translation
    belgium 12
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?