Verifying Solution of 3-D Laplace Eq. u=1/(x^2+y^2+z^2)^2

In summary, we discussed verifying the function u=1/(x^2 + y^2 + z^2)^(1/2) as a solution for the 3-dimensional Laplace equation. We examined the partial derivatives and found that uxx=uyy=uzz, and questioned how their sum could equal 0 if their individual expressions are equal and positive. After discussing the second derivative and applying the quotient rule, we concluded that there are two terms which cancel when summed over x, y, and z.
fk378

Homework Statement

Verify that the function u=1/(x^2 + y^2 + z^2)^2 is a solution of the 3-dimensional Laplace equation uxx+uyy+uzz=0

The Attempt at a Solution

I know how to solve the partial derivatives, so I know that uxx=uyy=uzz for this problem. How can their sum equal 0?

Physics news on Phys.org
are you sure its not ^3/2?

lzkelley said:
are you sure its not ^3/2?

You mean ^(1/2), yes? 1/r is the Green's function for the Laplace equation.

Ah, yes, the function should read:
u=1/(x^2 + y^2 + z^2)^(1/2)

Can you explain how the sum of the partial derivatives should equal zero, if their individual expressions are equal and positive?

fk378 said:
Ah, yes, the function should read:
u=1/(x^2 + y^2 + z^2)^(1/2)

Can you explain how the sum of the partial derivatives should equal zero, if their individual expressions are equal and positive?

You said you know you to find the second derivatives. Then do it. The individual expression aren't 'equal and positive'. Tell me what is the second derivative u_xx? It has two terms which cancel when summed over x,y and z.

For u_xx I'm getting 3(x^2 + y^2 + z^2)^-(5/2)

That's not what I get. I get an 'x' in the numerator after the first derivative coming from the chain rule. When I apply the quotient rule to that to get the second derivative I get two terms.

Ok, for my u_xx I now get -(x^2 + y^2 + z^2)^(-3/2) + 3(x^2) (x^2 + y^2 + z^2)^(-5/2)

Right. Now sum over x, y and z.

1. What is the 3-D Laplace Equation?

The 3-D Laplace equation is a partial differential equation that describes the behavior of a scalar function in three dimensions. It is often used to model phenomena in physics, engineering, and mathematics.

2. What is the solution to the 3-D Laplace Equation u=1/(x^2+y^2+z^2)^2?

The solution to the 3-D Laplace Equation u=1/(x^2+y^2+z^2)^2 is a function that satisfies the equation for all values of x, y, and z. In this case, the solution is u(x,y,z) = 1/(x^2+y^2+z^2)^2.

3. How do you verify the solution to the 3-D Laplace Equation?

To verify the solution to the 3-D Laplace Equation, one must substitute the solution into the equation and ensure that it satisfies the equation for all values of x, y, and z. This can be done through mathematical manipulation and simplification.

4. What is the significance of the 3-D Laplace Equation in science?

The 3-D Laplace Equation is significant in science because it is a fundamental equation that describes the behavior of scalar functions in three dimensions. It is used in many fields, including physics, engineering, and mathematics, to model a wide range of phenomena and systems.

5. Are there any real-world applications of the 3-D Laplace Equation?

Yes, there are many real-world applications of the 3-D Laplace Equation. It is used in fluid dynamics to model the flow of fluids, in electromagnetics to describe the behavior of electric fields, and in heat transfer to understand the distribution of heat in a system. It is also used in image processing and computer graphics to smooth out images and create realistic lighting effects.