Solve Laplace Equation in Oblate/Prolate Spheroidal Coordinates

In summary, the person is asking for help with solving the Laplace equation in oblate and prolate spheroidal coordinates. They provide a link to the equations they are using and mention that they have corrected an issue with accessing the webpage. They also clarify that they are trying to solve the scalar Laplace equation using separation of variables, which involves Legendre polynomials and circular functions. They are struggling with the algebra and calculus involved in the problem.
Aamodt
Hi, I'm trying to solve the Laplace equatio in oblate and prolate spheroidal coordinates, but it's proving to be too much for me to handle, can anyone help me out?
You can see the equations I'm using in:
http://mathematica.no.sapo.pt/index.html

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I "Cannot find server". Can you attach a written document with your work...?

Daniel.

I have corrected the problem, you can now access the web page with the equations, thanks for the warning.

Aamodt said:
Hi, I'm trying to solve the Laplace equatio in oblate and prolate spheroidal coordinates, but it's proving to be too much for me to handle, can anyone help me out?
You can see the equations I'm using in:
http://mathematica.no.sapo.pt/index.html
Laplaces equation for what (scalar, vector, tensor rank-2?). Using what method (numerical solution, separation of variable, integral transforms?).
I would guess that you intend to solve the scalar laplace equation using separation of variables. So you presume the solution can be written in the form of a sum of terms that are products of functions of one variable. Then the partial differential equation implies that the functions of one variable satisfy some strum louiville problem.
Mathworld says your two systems are among the 13 where laplaces equation can be solved by separation of variables and that solutions involve Legendre polynomials and circular functions. In any case you are looking at some messy algebra and calculus.

http://mathworld.wolfram.com/LaplacesEquation.html

1. What is the Laplace equation in oblate/prolate spheroidal coordinates?

The Laplace equation in oblate/prolate spheroidal coordinates is a partial differential equation that describes the relationship between the Laplacian operator and the coordinates in a system of oblate or prolate spheroidal coordinates. It is often used in physics and engineering to solve problems involving spheroidal geometries.

2. What are oblate and prolate spheroidal coordinates?

Oblate and prolate spheroidal coordinates are two types of coordinate systems that are commonly used to describe spheroidal geometries. Oblate spheroidal coordinates are used for flattened spheroids, while prolate spheroidal coordinates are used for elongated spheroids.

3. Why is it important to solve the Laplace equation in oblate/prolate spheroidal coordinates?

Solving the Laplace equation in oblate/prolate spheroidal coordinates allows us to model and analyze physical systems with spheroidal geometries. This is important in many fields, such as electromagnetics, fluid dynamics, and heat transfer, where spheroidal shapes are commonly encountered.

4. What are some techniques for solving the Laplace equation in oblate/prolate spheroidal coordinates?

There are several techniques for solving the Laplace equation in oblate/prolate spheroidal coordinates, including separation of variables, integral transforms, and numerical methods. The choice of technique will depend on the specific problem at hand.

5. Can the Laplace equation in oblate/prolate spheroidal coordinates be solved analytically?

In general, the Laplace equation in oblate/prolate spheroidal coordinates cannot be solved analytically. However, for certain special cases, such as axisymmetric problems, analytical solutions may be possible. Otherwise, numerical methods are typically used to obtain approximate solutions.