1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Laplace Function Question

1. Sep 24, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Consider the vector space of square integrable complex-valued functions
    in one dimension V = L^2(R) = {f(x) : interal|f(x)|^2dx < ∞}. Show that
    <f|g> = integral f(x)*g(x)dx defines a scalar product on this vector space.

3. The attempt at a solution

I actually have no clue where I even start with this question. I have not learned the Laplace function before, though I have a basic idea of how it works. Any help on how I might go at this question would be very appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 24, 2007 #2
    I don't see what this has to do with a "Laplace function" whatever that is. This is an elementary question about vector spaces and scalar products. You've been given the space, and the inner product, so you just have to verify that it does indeed work like a scalar product.

So: what are the properties that define a scalar product?

4. Sep 24, 2007 #3
    Sorry, the L was supposed to be the symbol for the Laplace function, does it still not make a difference?

5. Sep 24, 2007 #4
    The L does not represent a function. It's notation for the set of L^2 integrable functions over R, as defined right afterwards.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?