Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Laplace initial value problem HELP! PLEASE!

1. Dec 28, 2007 #1
    Laplace initial value problem.... HELP! PLEASE!

Hello all!
    I'm stuck on this question:

y' + y = t sin t

y(0) = 0

solve it using laplace transform,... my final is tomorrow, and its 2 am, i would appreciate a quick respone
    thanks in advance!
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 28, 2007 #2

[tex]\mathcal{L}\{y(t)\}=F(s)=\int_0^{+\infty} e^{-s\,t}\,y(t)\,d\,t[/tex]

be the Laplace transform of [tex] y(t)[/tex], then the Laplace transform for [tex] \mathcal{L}\{y'(t)\} [/tex] would be

[tex]\mathcal{L}\{y'(t)\}=\int_0^{+\infty} e^{-s\,t}\,y'(t)\,d\,t\Rightarrow \mathcal{L}\{y'(t)\}=s\,F(s)-y(0) \Rightarrow \mathcal{L}\{y'(t)\}=s\,F(s)[/tex]

The Laplace transform of the right hand side of your eq is

[tex] \mathcal{L}\{t\,\sin t\}=-\frac{2\,s}{(1+s^2)^2} [/tex]

Plugging the above values into your equation, you can evaluate [tex]F(s)[/tex] and applying the inverse Laplace transformation

you will arrive at [tex] y(t)[/tex]
  4. Dec 28, 2007 #3
    I'm arriving at these results:

2s / {(s^2+1)^2(2+1)}, but i cant continue from there.... I have an appendix of Laplace transforms in my text but none of them seem to fit this one...
  5. Dec 28, 2007 #4
    Split the fraction into simpler ones

6. Dec 28, 2007 #5
    i tried partial fractions, but how do you assign the contants in the numerator fro such a complex polynomial in the denominator...?
  7. Dec 28, 2007 #6
    I don't understand the question (my English are pretty poor!)

" ...complex polynomial in the denominator..."

If you mean the term

it's inverse Laplace transform can be evaluated by

[tex]\mathcal{L}^{-1}\{\frac{s+\gamma}{(s+\alpha)^2+\beta^2}\}=e^{-\alpha\,t}\left(\cos(\beta t)+\frac{\gamma-\alpha}{\beta}\,\sin(\beta\,t)\right)[/tex]
  8. Dec 28, 2007 #7

A good place for a table of these transormations could be

9. Dec 29, 2007 #8

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The standard technique for finding inverse Laplace transformations of complicated fractions (I wouldn't say "complex"; in mathematics that is too closely connected with complex numbers) is to use partial fractions. Surely you've seen that before?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?