Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Laplace inverse transform

1. Sep 25, 2004 #1
    Let,s suppose we want to get the inverse Laplace transform of a function f(s) numerically,we should calculate the integral from (c-i8,c+i8) of exp(st)f(s) my question is what c we should choose for calculating the integral?..wouldn,t depend the integral of the value of c..where could i find the proof that the Inverse Laplace transform does not depend on the value of c chosen?..

Another question,let,s take the Laplace transform in 2 dimensions hten how would we define the Laplace inverse transform?..

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 25, 2004 #2
    you can use the complexe analysis and résidue theorem

4. Sep 26, 2004 #3
    but what would happen if i try solving it numerically for example we should calculate the integral over all R of exp(ixt)f(c+ix)exp(ct) and this would be equal to our inverse Laplace transform, the problem is what c would i choose?..thanx.

5. Sep 28, 2004 #4
    So you have a complex integral (the integral of the inverse Laplace is a line integral in complex analysis) .
    It is impossible to calculate numerically these integral , because it is a line complex integral and not a simple integral like the reel integral , for this (if you know the complex analysis) their is an important theorem to calculate the value of the complex integral it is : Residue theorem, so use this theorem

6. Sep 28, 2004 #5
    But making the change of variable c+iu the integral becomes simply a Fourier inverse transform (is a integral on the real plane of exp(iu)f(c+iu)exp(ct)) so if we can have a real integral and should be able to compute it numerically.

7. Sep 29, 2004 #6
    It is wrong
    When you change the variale c+iu=v , so u change an COMPLEX variable and not a real variable!

8. Sep 29, 2004 #7
    but the Laplace inverse transform is not just a special case of fourier transform?

9. Sep 30, 2004 #8
    Ya
    the Laplace inverse transform is not just a special case of fourier transform
    But when we calculate the Laplace we use the complexe variables and not the real variables

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?