1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Laplace much?

1. Jul 21, 2008 #1
    Hello everyone.

I think Pierre-Simon Laplace is alive and well and he is trying to kill me, or drive me mad. I am trying to solve the attached problem. It is a differential equation---D2x+Dx-2*x=5*e^(-t)*sin(t). I have repeatedly tried to solve this problem. I don't like asking for help with homework, but I desperately want to know what I am doing wrong. I would like to think that the book has the wrong answer (it has happened before). Unfortunately, I don't have access to my MATLab, right now---I don't know why. So, I can't check it.

The problem, and one of my several attempts at the solution, are attached. I hope you can help me see my error(s).

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 21, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 22, 2008 #2

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Unfortunately I can't see the attachment yet. But generally one would first solve the homogeneous problem and try to find a particular solution.
    The homogeneous problem is
    [tex]x''(t) + x'(t) - 2 x(t) = 0 [/tex]
    so the standard approach is plugging in [itex]x = e^{\lambda t}[/itex] as a trial solution.
    For the inhomogeneous problem, you have something with trig functions, so I'd try plugging in [itex]x = \left[ A cos(t) + B sin(t) \right] e^{-t}[/itex] and try to solve for A and B to find a particular solution.

Otherwise, I'm waiting for the attachment to be approved :)

4. Jul 22, 2008 #3

Defennder

Homework Helper

I got the same answer you did. Seems like there's something wrong with the book's answer. By the way, being lazy, I used the online calculators at wims:
    http://wims.unice.fr/wims/

5. Jul 22, 2008 #4
    Welp, the book was wrong. The written answer is correct. Thanks for responding, though.
    I'll check out the wims calculator Defennder. Thanks for the tip.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?