Solving Laplace of Plane Wave with x,y,z Coordinates: Troubleshooting Guide

In summary, the conversation discusses difficulties in writing out the equations for Nabla and Laplace of a plane wave in terms of Cartesian coordinates. The individual is seeking help with the procedure and asks for assistance in writing down the equation or just the beginning steps.
xz5x
This is what I got for Nabla and Laplace of plane wave. I have problems when I try to write out it with x, y, z coordinates. Can somebody help me? Thanks!

http://img213.imageshack.us/img213/9532/85490316.jpg

http://img528.imageshack.us/img528/6835/f41cab97f649df5431127b5.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
What problems do you have? You should get the same thing, just written in terms of the components of [itex]k[/itex] and [itex]r[/itex].

@Muphrid

I know the result, but I have problems with procedure. Can you write down this equation; or just the start? Thanks!

What's [itex]k \cdot r[/itex] when written in terms of cartesian coordinates?

Yes.

1. What is the Laplace of a plane wave?

The Laplace of a plane wave refers to the transformation of a plane wave from the time domain to the frequency domain using the Laplace transform. This allows for the analysis of the wave's behavior and characteristics in the frequency domain.

2. How is the Laplace of a plane wave calculated?

The Laplace of a plane wave can be calculated by taking the Laplace transform of the equation that represents the plane wave. This involves integrating the equation with respect to time and multiplying it by the complex exponential term, e^-st, where s is a complex frequency variable.

3. What are the benefits of using the Laplace transform on a plane wave?

The Laplace transform allows for easier analysis of the plane wave in the frequency domain, making it easier to identify and understand the wave's behavior and characteristics. It also simplifies the mathematical calculations involved in the analysis.

4. Can the Laplace of a plane wave be used for any type of wave?

Yes, the Laplace transform can be applied to any type of wave, as long as the wave's behavior can be described by an equation in the time domain.

5. Are there any limitations to using the Laplace transform on a plane wave?

One limitation of using the Laplace transform on a plane wave is that it assumes the wave is a linear system, meaning that the superposition principle holds true. Additionally, the Laplace transform may not be suitable for analyzing non-stationary signals or signals with discontinuities.